Wind Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
omg winner day 2!

hussein - are you guys in dubai / uae?

having driven there myself a few times, i can now see how you could be driving the desert highways at 100+ consistently. y’all drive like maniacs over there, most of the highway nuts are in lambos. i’m just not so sure that i would do that sustained, at least not in one with a stock suspension.

i don’t think i would like to have to quickly avoid an obstacle at that speed.

side note @Hussein AlMoosawi
-
if you are in uae, have you run yours yet on the dunes alongside the land cruisers, & if so how does it compare?

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 5-Star tune set the speed limiter to 186 MPH on my 4Gen Expy. I haven’t gone over 101 MPH. I don’t see this boosted bus doing that well over 130 MPH. A crosswind and your done.

Reaction score
100mph isn't that bad. I regularly cruise at 85 out in Wyoming. It's like a day in the Park. No issues. Heck the speedo on my 2014 goes up to 120.

I had a whistle from the driver window direction at about 60 on my 2003 for years, only in the summer. I tried taping the whole thing (window) off and no difference. Came back every summer, eventually went away once I accepted it and it didnt botha me.

I reached 100 mph with my explorer 93, it was solid like a rock with out any issues or noise.
and regarding the Expy 2018 its silent till 96 mph actually its silent more than most of the other brands.

Reaction score
omg winner day 2!

hussein - are you guys in dubai / uae?

having driven there myself a few times, i can now see how you could be driving the desert highways at 100+ consistently. y’all drive like maniacs over there, most of the highway nuts are in lambos. i’m just not so sure that i would do that sustained, at least not in one with a stock suspension.

i don’t think i would like to have to quickly avoid an obstacle at that speed.

side note @Hussein AlMoosawi
-
if you are in uae, have you run yours yet on the dunes alongside the land cruisers, & if so how does it compare?

Nope my friend I'm from Iraq, and its better there is no speed limits in Iraq.

Unfortunately I didn't run alongside land cruiser on the dunes.

Reaction score
5 Stars tuner is not available in my country, I think i will try the HP tuner by just programing and removing the speed limits.
I hit the top speed with my expy 118 mph, its so stable and very comfort to drive the only thing I hate is that noise sound.
actually if the passenger did not look at the speed meter, he will not feel the speed and will not know that we are moving that fast.

cfldad

Reaction score
I almost lost my license to drive 20 years ago getting caught doing 92. Some states here will automatically take your license if you exceed the speed limit by too much.

I haven’t had my expedition over 85 yet. Agree it’s very smooth at speed.

DWs-TTEB

Full Access Members
Reaction score
5 Stars tuner is not available in my country, I think i will try the HP tuner by just programing and removing the speed limits.
I hit the top speed with my expy 118 mph, its so stable and very comfort to drive the only thing I hate is that noise sound.
actually if the passenger did not look at the speed meter, he will not feel the speed and will not know that we are moving that fast.

ForScan let’s you change the speed limiter as well. Cheapest option (ForScan license = $10 USD | HS/MS-CAN OBDII reader $30 USD)

Last edited:

mx10166

Reaction score
I think I found the culprit of my wind whistling noise. There is a small channel at the base of the mirror where it mounts to the doors right above the chrome strip that runs along the bottom of the windows. The channel is easiest to see from the front of the mirrors. The photos below are of the front side of the passenger's side mirror. I had some backer rod on hand, which is meant to fill expansion joints in concrete and is a dense foam material meant for outdoor use. I cut some small pieces and stuffed them into the channel at the base of the mirrors and it stops the wind from whistling in that channel. The area is really hard to see, so I'm not too worried about the gray foam against the black mirror base, but I'll keep my eye out for similar material that is black. It's a 5 minute fix for anyone that is tired of messing around with the dealer trying to solve the issue. Also, this fix isn't affected by folding the mirrors since this is the fixed base of the mirror.

View attachment 41279

View attachment 41280

View attachment 41281

View attachment 41282

Just purchased a 2020 Expedition Max Platinum and had the same issue. This fixed it! Would have never guessed this was the issue. Thanks!!!