Wind Noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I hope that does it... that sucks.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought my 19’ had a slight whistle by my left ear. It would come and go. I would lean forward and would swear it would get worse. It ended up being the air conditioning from the seats. Set in it just right and it would make a slight whistle on high. Pretty crazy. My 16’ F-150 you couldn’t even tell it had A/C seats. The Expy will freeze you out and blows enough you actually feel it and sometimes hear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
Hey guys. When I was driving my pre-owned '18 max home from the dealer 2 weeks ago I noticed the same noise. I thought that it was coming from the door/window seal until I put the window down and heard it continuing. Yesterday, I took the front of my hand and placed it in front of the driver side mirror, essentially blocking the flow of air from hitting the mirror directly. It stopped. This is absolutely the source of the noise.

Brought it in to the dealer today for a couple of service issuea, including the sunroof (tech told me "this is an old one, built in '18 and the seals need to be lubed and some screws tightened) and when I mentioned the mirror issue, the tech seemed to know about another TSB that he thought may apply to this truck. The fix involves taking apart the mirror assembly and packing a particular area near the wires with some type of foam, as there's an open channel that creates a wind-tunnel in those mirrors when you hit a certain speed. What's weird is that it doesn't happen below 45MPH or seemingly above 55mph- thinking that perhaps the airflow is too great or too slight for it to channel through the housing and that's why you aren't always hearing it. Curious to see if this is indeed the fix they will apply when I pick it up later. It helps so much when you have a tech who really knows their way around a particular vehicle.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys. When I was driving my pre-owned '18 max home from the dealer 2 weeks ago I noticed the same noise. I thought that it was coming from the door/window seal until I put the window down and heard it continuing. Yesterday, I took the front of my hand and placed it in front of the driver side mirror, essentially blocking the flow of air from hitting the mirror directly. It stopped. This is absolutely the source of the noise.

Brought it in to the dealer today for a couple of service issuea, including the sunroof (tech told me "this is an old one, built in '18 and the seals need to be lubed and some screws tightened) and when I mentioned the mirror issue, the tech seemed to know about another TSB that he thought may apply to this truck. The fix involves taking apart the mirror assembly and packing a particular area near the wires with some type of foam, as there's an open channel that creates a wind-tunnel in those mirrors when you hit a certain speed. What's weird is that it doesn't happen below 45MPH or seemingly above 55mph- thinking that perhaps the airflow is too great or too slight for it to channel through the housing and that's why you aren't always hearing it. Curious to see if this is indeed the fix they will apply when I pick it up later. It helps so much when you have a tech who really knows their way around a particular vehicle.

Let us know what the TSB number is if you find out.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Will do. Having the same issue?
Yeah. Still not satisfied with the whistling sound around the drivers door. I've done all the typical remedies (tightened striker latch, adjusted door hinges, added tubing inside the bulb seals around the door). I have not considered the mirrors as a possible culprit, so I'll see if I can figure anything further out. Dealers aren't much help on stuff like this unless you can point to a part that needs to be replaced. They don't have time or interest to perform extensive troubleshooting from what I've found.

Last edited:

lv2drive

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too suffer from the wind noise, on the passenger side. sounds like the door isnt shut.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too suffer from the wind noise, on the passenger side. sounds like the door isnt shut.

It's interesting that Ford can't figure these issues out on the Expedition. I have a 2020 F350 and it doesn't have any noticeable wind noise around the doors/mirrors.

Koz19MaxPlat

Reaction score
Yeah. Still not satisfied with the whistling sound around the drivers door. I've done all the typical remedies (tightened striker latch, adjusted door hinges, added tubing instead the bulb seals around the door). I have not considered the mirrors as a possible culprit, so I'll see if I can figure anything further out. Dealers aren't much help on stuff like this unless you can point to a part that needs to be replaced. They don't have time or interest to perform extensive troubleshooting from what I've found.
It's really maddening working with the dealer right now. I went on a ride along with a senior tech yesterday, he was driving, and I explained what he should look for. He heard it and he's the one who mentioned the fix with foam in the mirror. Another tech is working on the car today and the service advisor mentioned that they need to first replace some "rain/splash guard" on the window and see if that corrects the problem, to which I promptly told them that the noise is also present when you roll the window down and doesn't go away until you cup your hand over the front-face of the mirror. The response was "ok, but we still need to replace this part first." It just doesn't make any sense!!! That's not the source of the noise, what part don't they get?