Window Replacment

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got my car broken into last night and they shattered two of the windows to get into it. I was wondering if the dealership was the best place to go to get it fixed or if it would be cheaper but same quailty to go to a store.

G

Originally posted by smo0othride
I got my car broken into last night and they shattered two of the windows to get into it. I was wondering if the dealership was the best place to go to get it fixed or if it would be cheaper but same quailty to go to a store.

Call your insurance- might have it covered.

G

Did you take the vehicle to the dealer, ask if they are an approved insurance repair facility. If not, get a quote anyway, then present that to your insurance company as the cost to repair.

Otherwise, it's always cheaper to go to an independent shop vs the dealership.

The problem is, the trim needs to be removed in order to get to the window. Some independent shops may break some of the plastic tabs that hold the trim in place. If one or two break, there is still enough to hold the trim in place that you wouldn't notice. Of course, the dealership may do the same thing.

The safest bet would be to sit there and watch them do it. Of course, some shops have those "employees only beyond this point" for insurance reasons (and also so you don't see them when they mess up).

Whichever place you bring it to, ask them what they'll do if the plastic tabs break. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes. Will they replace it if one breaks. When the work is done, make sure the trim is secure and check all the weather stripping around the window.

Good luck.

G

Good points- I've had aftermarket glass installed on several cars and all were as good or superior to the OEM glass.

The install is another matter. One left a handfull of glass in the door and rattled terribly, left the vapor liner off and left me with 2 gallons of rain in the car.

Another scratched the roof and killed the plastic tabs.

The only one that worked out OK was when I stood by the installer and chatted it up.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the window behind the passenger seat and the rear window replaced... it was almost $900... did I get ripped off? The rear one wasn't even tinted.