Window Vent Shades / Window Deflectors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm looking to get some window shades, the ones that slide into the window channel, like these:

https://www.weathertech.com/ford/2014/expedition-expedition-el/side-window-deflectors/

Anyone have any pictures of these installed? Do they stop at the top of the mirror on the front windows or do they sorta turn and come down in front of the mirror to the top of the door? I'm seeing a lot of generic pictures, so just curious how the fit on the 3rd gens.

Are there options for either, perhaps different brands stop these at different places? Any specific brand better than the other?

Thanks...

LJ

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had in-channel Auto Vent Shades (AVS) #194233. They "stopped" at the mirror like you want. Also had the Weathertechs just like the shown above that travel down to the bottom of the window channel - past the mirror base.

The Auto Vent shade rears both distorted after a 1-2 years, the center sagged inward a little, looked weird. Tossed the set and bought Weathertechs.

A Weathertech rear developed two cracks at the rear most corner. They quickly sent a no-charge replacement for both rear doors, but it was a different shade of smoke. Evidently 'dark' changed at some point. Stood out too bad, tossed the set. Lasted maybe a year. To be honest I didn't pursue Weathertech for another pair or a matching new front set.

I've had a 3rd set of in-channel. Lund probably, came with a sunroof piece. Passenger front cracked during car wash dryer. Lasted maybe a year. Tossed all 5 pieces. They all flexed alot at highway speed.

For the last couple years I've had Westin/Wade 72-37498 which are stick-on. Ironically this style is a pet-peeve of mine. But they've proven to be trouble-free, and on a black truck the stick-on type doesn't visually stand out like they do on a lighter color vehicle. They also stop at and tuck in behind the mirror base.

In keeping with chaos, there are stick-ons that attach to the paint, and there are stick-on that attach to the rubber window moldings. Low profile, light smoke, etc.

Best picture attempt at the current stick-ons that I can do.

0GnvWxj.jpg

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
WOW!!! Thank you for all that info and let me say, your Expedition looks AWESOME! I love those wheels, what are they?

The stick-on ones you currently have and are shown, are they on the paint or the rubber? My Expedition is white so I was trying to avoid the stick ones as they just look obscure... If they stick on the rubber that might not be too bad...

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome.
These visors are on-the-window-rubber type. Its sad they've far outlasted 3 sets of more expensive in-channels. Just clean the rubber with alcohol, peel & stick. If I were to replace them, it'd be with another set of in-channel Weathertechs, they seemed less scratch prone and of overall better quality. Plus are made in USA.

The wheels are 2011 F150 Lariat Limited. Usually referred to as Harley Davidson F150 22's, same wheel but Lariat Limited had white painted inserts. Both were factory polished. I sent mine to LA Wheel Exchange and they sent me these. 22x9 with 305/45/22 Nitto 420S.

If you have a moon roof, I'd probably not recommend the visor ahead of it. Really does nothing to counter wind buffeting. Some vehicles they might, just not this one.

OP
OP
L

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome.
These visors are on-the-window-rubber type. Its sad they've far outlasted 3 sets of more expensive in-channels. Just clean the rubber with alcohol, peel & stick. If I were to replace them, it'd be with another set of in-channel Weathertechs, they seemed less scratch prone and of overall better quality. Plus are made in USA.

The wheels are 2011 F150 Lariat Limited. Usually referred to as Harley Davidson F150 22's, same wheel but Lariat Limited had white painted inserts. Both were factory polished. I sent mine to LA Wheel Exchange and they sent me these. 22x9 with 305/45/22 Nitto 420S.

If you have a moon roof, I'd probably not recommend the visor ahead of it. Really does nothing to counter wind buffeting. Some vehicles they might, just not this one.

Awesome... Thanks!!! You just gave a good idea for my wheels. My Expedition is the tri-coat white color. I think the same as the limited F150's. I bet those wheels with the white inserts would look awesome on mine... Hmmmmm... :)