Windshield Cowl leak, water in plug wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

mdjeterva

Reaction score
How are you going to prevent water from getting back in?
How many other plug wells have water in them?
What is the source of your water leak into the plug well(s)?

I have not pulled any C-O-Ps yet. Been taking to my local shade tree mechanic who is very reasonable. But I am not willing to keep paying for this every time it rains. Looking under the hood, not sure how to get to #4, #8 plugs. What has to be moved, removed to get to those plugs? Any special tools needed?

Replacing the old coil boot has stopped it so far, #7 is right at the drip line for the cowl rubber seal. I checked #3,#4, #7 and #8, #7 was the only one that had any water in it. I cleaned it up and sprayed some Armor All on it and got all of the pine straw debris (the bane of my existence) out of the cowl area and the problem hasn't returned.
#4 and #8 are under the cowl next to the firewall so yours may be a different problem.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The windshield squirter system is above the engine block. Any leakage from those hoses could get onto the engine. We all know those engines hate water.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not seen this for the expedition but on other makes/models of cars.

I've seen boots that 'seal' the well for the spark plug.

Not the best example, but something like this. Do they exist for these expys?
sZxoHoMQycj2QGBTo2knLON6OijW0EpbFR-edjcE8-Ss141PpTDYOBD21cY9D_fLpaGujTHchLGIGv6eiz4iH_t7E5qVX8NWDBE2FU3Mh_-jFygTLDqUKMK6oE9lng7T

Thanks,
Dick

at13

Reaction score
I have the same issue; when it rains on my 2002. I changed the cowl but same problem/issue. Help!

at13

Reaction score
My 2003 EB recently developed a persistent ingnition mis-fire problem. The cause is water in the plug wells. Seems to be plenty of internet tracks on various Fords with this cowl leak, water in plug wells.
A few internet threads point to diverting water leaks from the windshield cowl.

However, I cannot find any good information on replacing the leaking cowl. There is some information about the cowl design regarding clip locations over the engine that leak water.

Appears there are 2 solutions. Replace the cowl so that the clips locations do not leak. Or improvise a drip-catch under the cowl to divert water off the engine.

I hope there is some knowledge on this forum to help with this problem.
Have you fixed the issue? I have the same problem with my 2002 XLT. I changed
The cowl; but same issue! Please let me know if you solved the problem!