Windshield Cowl leak, water in plug wells

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Michael Rose

Reaction score
My 2003 EB recently developed a persistent ingnition mis-fire problem. The cause is water in the plug wells. Seems to be plenty of internet tracks on various Fords with this cowl leak, water in plug wells.
A few internet threads point to diverting water leaks from the windshield cowl.

However, I cannot find any good information on replacing the leaking cowl. There is some information about the cowl design regarding clip locations over the engine that leak water.

Appears there are 2 solutions. Replace the cowl so that the clips locations do not leak. Or improvise a drip-catch under the cowl to divert water off the engine.

I hope there is some knowledge on this forum to help with this problem.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael Rose

Michael Rose

Reaction score
The cylinders closest to the firewall, #4, #8.
The cowl, weather strip have no evidence of damage, or loseness. There are 2 clips under the hood, under the weather strip, just about perfectly in line with the plug line, are the culprits. They allow water to drip pass the weather strip.

What cylinders are reporting misfires?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't own that generation truck. If I did, and what you say is true, I'd be looking at silicone and perhaps some half cut hose, sponge weatherstrip and stuff like that. Hard to imagine Ford would.... Maybe not so hard.

mdjeterva

Reaction score
I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago, we had a torrential downpour, 6" of rain in a day. Next day I started getting a #7 misfire, finally decided to pull the coil and plug in case it was a bad coil or plug. Fortunately I had the compressor out and after I pulled the coil, I blew out the spark plug sleeve and saw clear water get blown out with a little grime. I checked the coil boot and both ends were rusty and a little dry rotted, so I go a new coil boot, applied the dielectric grease and fired it back up. The misfire was gone.

OP
OP
Michael Rose

Michael Rose

Reaction score
..., so I go a new coil boot, applied the dielectric grease and fired it back up. The misfire was gone.

How are you going to prevent water from getting back in?
How many other plug wells have water in them?
What is the source of your water leak into the plug well(s)?

I have not pulled any C-O-Ps yet. Been taking to my local shade tree mechanic who is very reasonable. But I am not willing to keep paying for this every time it rains. Looking under the hood, not sure how to get to #4, #8 plugs. What has to be moved, removed to get to those plugs? Any special tools needed?

Last edited: