Wiring or Switch

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kevinw2345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello everyone i have a problem i finally figured out that my fog lights wernt working because of the fuse. The fuse or something is screwed up before when i put the fuse in the day time running lamps wouldnt turn off but now thats not the issue. MY issue is that when i have the fuse in now and all my lights off, keys out etc. the Highbeam light stays on and wont turn off till i turn my headlights on once i turn them off the highbeam light turns back on. Confusing eh haha i have been trying to fix this for a while but dont know nothing about a cars mechanical stuff, so i decided to ask the professionals on here for your opinion. Thanks for your time it is appreciated.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year and trim?
Could be one of many things, which fuse are you pulling in the central junction box?

OP
OP
kevinw2345

kevinw2345

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Its a 1998 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4, and its the fuse for the Daytime running lights and fog lights. Its in the fusebox under the hood.

WECole

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you talking about the highbeams themselves being on, or just the indicator light? I can't tell from your post...

If you meant the highbeam indicator light only:
Check for physical shorts to the indicator light wire (GRY/WHT) or a bad Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) module.

If you meant the highbeams themselves :
Pull fuse 16 and see if you still have those highbeams. If you do, you either have a short to your high beam wiring (LT GRN/BLK) or you probably have a problem with your Daytime Running Lamps (DRL) module.

If pulling fuse 16 kills the lights, pull and test the multifunction switch. If that was ok, check the main light switch itself and then the headlamp relay (not likely the problem from what I can see). If those all check out then you're probably looking at an old fashion wiring short because the only other components directly involved in the headlight circuits besides wires and fuses are the Park Lamp Relay, the Autolamp Module and possibly a Remote Anti-Theft Personality (RAP) module - none of which I'd think could be causing your problem.

Last edited:

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
my money is on the multifunction switch

03EBExpyGA

Reaction score
Hey WECole, sounds like you have knowledge on fuse identification, I'm looking for a fuse/relay ID chart for the both the engine compartment and interior fuse compartments for a 2003 Expedition, can you help?

Reaction score
Does your l;ight switch have a thumbwheel next to it labeled something like autolamp? If it does, that keeps your headlights on for a period of time after shutting off the ignition and lights and exiting the vehicle.