won't shift into AWD or 4HI

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hooper44

Reaction score
My 2003 Expedition won't shift into AWD or 4Hi but it will shift into 4Lo. Also it makes a loud clunking sound when starting from rest. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

JulianOltean

Reaction score
Hey check your fuses in the passenger foot well it's connected to a fuse that also powers the A/C relay . Your 4x4 is working its the Iwe solenoid that tells the light to turn on but only in 4hi and awd . The t case tells it when it's in 4 lo since it actually changes gears at that point , I had the same problem

OP
OP
H

hooper44

Reaction score
I checked the fuse but it was fine. When I try to put it into 4Hi or AWD the light just blinks off and on.

JulianOltean

Reaction score
Check fuse number 11 it's a 10a fuse for the iwe and a/c relay . If not try changing your iwe solenoid it self located at the top left of the engine bay

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
  • The vehicle does not operate correctly in A4WD and 4WD HIGH modes
  • Central junction box (CJB) fuses:
    • 11 (10A).
    • 115 (30A).
    • 20 (30A).
  • Mode select switch (MSS).
  • Transfer case shaft speed sensors.
  • Transfer case electric clutch.
  • 4WD control module.
  • Powertrain control module (PCM).
  • IVD.
  • IWE solenoid.
  • Circuitry.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuse number 11 it's a 10a fuse for the iwe and a/c relay . If not try changing your iwe solenoid it self located at the top left of the engine bay

Is that the top left when looking into the engine compartment or is it the top left when sitting in the drivers seat The passenger side of the Expey is the right side and the drivers side is the left side.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so in reality that is the top right being the passenger side is the right side

Sorry just a boring day but That does tend to confuse some people

JulianOltean

Reaction score
I'm sure people are resourceful enough to find the peice once they find out what it looks like seems like buddy hasn't researched much to begin with