working out electrical probs after 4bt conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gwhunter

Reaction score
Hello all, this will be lengthy, Ive had this 4bt converted 07' expedition(original 5.4) up and running for several years now...25k miles now. Its a been a long road, but fun none the less. See the following link for the official build.

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55767

So here i sit today with the wind howling, temps dropping, and snow flying outside. Hoping here on the flip-side i wont get roasted here for dropping the 5.4 and going with a different power plant. I opted for the 4bt cummins for the reliability factor and increase in fuel economy. Currently the state of Indiana doesn't seem to have any emissions issues with my swapping of engines, until that day i guess ill continue with this rig....now on to the meat and potatoes.

There are several original systems on the expedition i have not got working as of yet, and that's why i am here. I knew from the beginning this would be a difficult road in hammering out all the end details, so i am looking for any insight on figuring some of these things out. I have done some posting over on 4bt swaps and there wasnt a lot to glean from over there, as there is not a lot of conversions on new-ish vehicle, especially with CAN communication systems.

So here is what i have and dont have thus far. The engine is a cummins 4bt coupled to an M5R2 5sp manual trans which is mated to the original BW4417 transfer case. I had to machine a special adapter plate and shaft to bolt the 4417 to the m5r2, but its working fine. My main concern is sorting out some of the power train odds and ends. The volt meter, temp gauge, speedometer, and fuel gauge all work fine. The tachometer, 4x4 system, AC, and cruise control system do not work..... and those are the systems im trying to get going. Im using the original throttle body to actuate the injection pump, this has worked flawlessly except for a little hiccup when you let off the throttle, I was hoping using the original TB would allow me to use cruise control easier. My speedometer works only by having a TCM connected to the wiring harness, but the TCM is just kinda floating around inside the engine compartment. I have currently have the following systems disconnected from the PCM; all injector wiring, all COPS wiring, all exhaust sensors, all cam sensors, crank sensor, all knock sensors, IAT sensor, radiator fan, and I'm sure there's something I've forgot to include there. I dont think the PCM recognizes the engine as "running", but what i was surprised at is the DBW throttle pedal is still making the TB operate....but im sure thankful it is. I thought if i fed the PCM an AC pulse from a sensor targeted at the harmonic balance i machined that would be all i would need to make the tach work, but alas that didnt work. I do not currently have a signal being fed into the PCM from that sensor i rigged up... which mimicked the CKP signal; actually utilized the 5.4 crank sensor, might be a pic in the linked build thread.

Does anybody have any ideas on where to start. Gobs and gobs of codes, which i was expecting. All insight is welcomed. thanks