WTF is up with the latest sync update OTA

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DR650N8

Reaction score
I’ve had usb problems on the sync basic (in a Taurus)where unplugging the battery on the car was the thing that finally fixed it. ???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimdar

Reaction score
Just curious. Does anyone have Navigation maps more current than "NA 1 15"? Thats what my 2017 came with.
I don't mean to hijack. Should this be its own thread?

IMG_5791.JPG

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just curious. Does anyone have Navigation maps more current than "NA 1 15"? Thats what my 2017 came with.

IMG_5791.JPG

The Nav updates are coded to the Serial Number of the Sync 3 system and the VIN of the vehicle. Currently the only way to get it is via the Dealer Parts Counter. I would love to get a hold of one of the update drives so I can try to find a workaround, but not worth wasting my Money to get a copy. I use CarPlay and Waze now for my Nav.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
As nearly as I can tell the map versions are just numbers and not dates -- unless all come deliberately two years out of date. All Sync 3 versions in all cars:

2016 car 1 14 map version
2017 car 1 15 map version -- in my 2017 Expedition
2018 car 1 16 map version
2019 car 1 17 map version

There is (was?) a USB kit that would update the maps. Keyed to VIN and/or SYNC3 unit so one-time-use. Don't have a part number or price. Anyone?

Upgrade requires about an hour with the engine idling.

This is common and inexcusable in a eleventyseven dollar GPS unit. My highly accurate $200 Garmin GPSs (plural) get map updates several times a year at no cost.

-- Chuck

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
As nearly as I can tell the map versions are just numbers and not dates -- unless all come deliberately two years out of date. All Sync 3 versions in all cars:

2016 car 1 14 map version
2017 car 1 15 map version -- in my 2017 Expedition
2018 car 1 16 map version
2019 car 1 17 map version

There is (was?) a USB kit that would update the maps. Keyed to VIN and/or SYNC3 unit so one-time-use. Don't have a part number or price. Anyone?

Upgrade requires about an hour with the engine idling.

This is common and inexcusable in a eleventyseven dollar GPS unit. My highly accurate $200 Garmin GPSs (plural) get map updates several times a year at no cost.

-- Chuck

Just said most of this above. Price can vary between dealers, but it is in the $100 range.

It can be ordered via a Dealer Parts department, and the version above(1 16) is the HERE(Company who provides Map Data to most OEM’s) Map Data revision included in that Data File.

Like I said above it is keyed to Both the VIN and Sync 3 Serial Number.

Update works the same as a Sync Update, and you can drive with it doing it, Stop, turn off car, and it will continue where it left off with some delay. The best way is as Chuck said to keep the radio on either via accessory or engine running.

There are VERY few OEM’s that provide free Nav updates.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jimdar

Reaction score
Thank you chuck s & LokiWolf for the info.
My dealer parts dept. said it was about $135 but I neglected to ask what version they had as I wasn't ready to purchase it.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get support for a 3rd party item from Ford?

Thats funny right there...don't care who you are....

OP
OP
powerboatr

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
my maps seem to update, not sure how..but i have driven to areas that were changed and added streets since last visit and BAM they show up. I have no idea how it does it, i thought it was just tracing my route, but google just added my street last year and its in my map .
again i have zero idea if or how or when it occurs.
does it update with the new POIs ??/

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Manufacturer Map updates are never cheap or readily done. My 07’s factory navigation is updated via disk and it was $150 from ford if I recall, you go to the website and order it. The latest map update I did is a 2015 version. To your point ford only releases an update for it every 3-4 years, the last update before the 2015 version was 2012. The original 2007 map software still works, but obviously it’s like a puzzle with some missing pieces to use that version.

Last edited: