XLT Tail lamp LED upgrade.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
UPDATE #3
Just found out why led band wouldn't work. The module I bought had some water in it. After taking the module completely apart I spotted rust on the circuit board which means this is pretty much junk, it surprises me that the led pack still works. I'm probably going to pause right here and wait till I can get my hand on another module. As I noticed on the halogen module, red wire is for bright, and yellow wire is for dim. I assume they are the same for the led band.
Also thank this LED module for the sacrifice it made in the name of "Science".
IMG_2242.JPG IMG_2243.JPG IMG_2244.JPG

TKGracy

Reaction score
I hope this all ends up working out. The lights are one of the biggest things that i wish were different on the XLT vs the Limited.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
I'm not so sure do I want to do it even if I can get it working. I don't mind shaving one of the fins off the connector, but needing to cut the wire is the deal-braker for me. There are some wiring skills needed to install it and it's not a very good idea to purchase $1200 non-refundable parts and perform some backyard-engineering on it. If someone is really smart, he can come up with some kind of connector that allows connection from a LED module to a XLT truck without needing to work on module.

browning4x4

Reaction score
Anyone want to compare notes with our F150 brothers? i know to make the switch on an f150 it is a harness and housing change. Anyone have a f150 with the LED tails to take pics of plug and wire colors? i have a 15 XLT so i can provide pics of a basic taillight.... Not sure if it helps but this is an upgrade i would love to have on the epxy.

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
A huge thank to Jkpinatl for hooking me up with another module.

IMG_3769.JPG

This one seems to be in good shape, just wired it to a 10 V adapter to mess around a bit. More testing will be carried out on the car after it gets warmer here probably in a month.

IMG_3768(20200222-180251).JPG

Drew47000000

Reaction score
I was disappointed this wasnt plug and play. I had a LED tail lamp at my disposal today and confirmed the connector just wont fit. The LED unit looks much better but After seeing all that would go into this I think im with the guy who mentioned waiting for $100 Chinese knock offs in a year or so LOL

IMG_8095.jpg

OP
OP
Lukewang01

Lukewang01

Reaction score
Personally speaking, this car (all full size SUVs) wasn't as popular in China, F150 and Ram 1500 are much more popular. The odd of a Chinese knock off is quite small. I am hoping eventually with some soldering and wiring for the plug that I am able to just plug it into the socket and just use it.

Diverdown

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wouldn’t buy anything Chinese right now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk