Your review of the 15” Screen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Test drove one and it is a nightmare to use while driving. Having to go through two or three screens to get to something that is simple with a physical button on other trims is a huge distraction and safety issue.

They really want you to use voice for everything
That's what I thought too that it would be a distraction while driving. I like my simple buttons for the basics.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really like the big screen. I think it looks great and sync 4a is a huge improvement over the version that was in my 2019 expedition. I picked up everything quickly - actually felt very comfortable with it by the time I got home from the dealership. Not being able to quickly turn on the front camera is probably the biggest loss in changing to the full screen. Losing the ability to change ambient light color is also a bit annoying, but I am guessing that is not specific to the 15" screen?

As far as glitches go... I've had a few. Again, not sure if this is because of the big screen or not, but so far the following has happened..
- Screen completely turned off while I was driving
- Volume turned itself up all the way and would not allow me to turn it down until I shut off the car
- Heat turned all the way up by itself, but it did allow me to then turn it back down
- Had a very loud screeching sound coming from all speakers which I could not get to stop (see post - Total Meltdown)

Each of these have only happened once. I did have it to the dealership, specifically because of the last one listed, but they were not able to find anything. I won't say they don't make me a little nervous of a bigger issue looming, but overall love the vehicle and entertainment system.
You can't change the coloring on the lighting? That is one of my favorite features of my 19' I rented a focus about 10 years ago that had the lighting. I thought it was so neat! I've waited 10 years to have a vehicle with it. Our Taurus x did not. Feeling even better about our 19' purchase.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The ambient lighting was a decision made in my20. Choosing colors was locked only to the platinum trim and its like that for my22.

Maxine the Max

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gotcha, we have a platinum. I didn't realize the color options was a platinum feature. The kids and I think it's great fun. They like to take turns picking a color. But obviously it's not a necessity. Just fun!

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It would be nice if certain special packages had their own unique color, i.e., Stealth = Red, Timberline = Orange or Green, King Ranch = Yellow.

JustMatt76

Reaction score
Going on 4 weeks with my Timberline and the 15" screen... I was nervous about the lack of physical buttons/knobs at first but not so much anymore. So far I love it 95% of the time with only a few glitches and minor complaints.
Good
- Screen is huge and very clear. This makes the navigation much easier than using your cell phone, which is what I had to do in my last vehicle.
- Camera screens are good, I wont say great because I've never had cameras in a car before so I have no comparison, but no complaints either. Other than they tell me how crappy of a parking job I did without getting out of the car.
- Screen is pretty responsive with very little noticeable lag.
- Lots of information and its easy to read when getting deep into the menu settings.
Bad
- Apple Car Play didn't seem to like when both my wife's phone and my phone were in the car at the same time. Not sure if its a Ford SYNC issue or an Apple issue but it didn't want to switch from her phone to mine. A few days later I un-paired my phone and re-paired it, seems to be ok now.
- One time the screen froze on one song title and I couldn't get it to switch to the current song. It would switch to the Nav or any other app but the music app screen was frozen. Again, not sur if its an Apply Car Play or Ford SYNC issue.
- Getting to the camera takes a couple extra steps more than what I think it should. Ford should allow some degree of customization or "hot" buttons so that you can get to some of our more used features easier. But the reality is, its not a huge issue IMHO, just slightly less convenient.
- The AC and seat temp controls are not exactly intuitive. They are miserable or even as bad as I thought they would be but they could be better. I think I would still prefer physical buttons/knobs for some of those things but its not a deal breaker.

Overall, with it being included in the 501A package it's the only option if you want leather and all the other stuff in the 501A. I'm starting to like it more and more every time I use it.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going on 4 weeks with my Timberline and the 15" screen... I was nervous about the lack of physical buttons/knobs at first but not so much anymore. So far I love it 95% of the time with only a few glitches and minor complaints.
Good
- Screen is huge and very clear. This makes the navigation much easier than using your cell phone, which is what I had to do in my last vehicle.
- Camera screens are good, I wont say great because I've never had cameras in a car before so I have no comparison, but no complaints either. Other than they tell me how crappy of a parking job I did without getting out of the car.
- Screen is pretty responsive with very little noticeable lag.
- Lots of information and its easy to read when getting deep into the menu settings.
Bad
- Apple Car Play didn't seem to like when both my wife's phone and my phone were in the car at the same time. Not sure if its a Ford SYNC issue or an Apple issue but it didn't want to switch from her phone to mine. A few days later I un-paired my phone and re-paired it, seems to be ok now.
- One time the screen froze on one song title and I couldn't get it to switch to the current song. It would switch to the Nav or any other app but the music app screen was frozen. Again, not sur if its an Apply Car Play or Ford SYNC issue.
- Getting to the camera takes a couple extra steps more than what I think it should. Ford should allow some degree of customization or "hot" buttons so that you can get to some of our more used features easier. But the reality is, its not a huge issue IMHO, just slightly less convenient.
- The AC and seat temp controls are not exactly intuitive. They are miserable or even as bad as I thought they would be but they could be better. I think I would still prefer physical buttons/knobs for some of those things but its not a deal breaker.

Overall, with it being included in the 501A package it's the only option if you want leather and all the other stuff in the 501A. I'm starting to like it more and more every time I use it.
I've had mine for a little over 24 hours and have already put about 300 miles on it. Basically, I have been in it quite a bit. LOL!

I concur with all of your GOOD points. My "BAD" points are as follows.

- My CarPlay won't work wirelessly in a consistent manner on my iPhone Pro 13 Max (running iOS beta 15.6), so I plug it in. This doesn't bother me because my case prevents the wireless charging.
- CarPlay via cord ONLY seems to work with an authentic Apple cord. The black Belkin cord I used in my 2019 won't allow the CarPlay to start. It charges the phone, but no CarPlay. Very weird.
- The screen froze up completely one time when I was driving. About 3-4 minutes later, it rebooted and has been fine ever since. I was trying the wireless CarPlay and wireless charging at the time. I don't know if that contributed as my phone was quite warm when it happened. I am also running beta software on my phone. That could also be a factor.

Other than that, I love the new bigger screen.

BSarchet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have one of these on order. I'm nervous about all the glitchiness I've been reading about. I was prepared for the button loss / menu diving already, so I have come to peace with that one.