ZF6 swap 98 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Wow! Thats quite a project.

I realize you are not at this step yet but do you plan to have your computer reprogrammed for the manual tranny?? Just curious because while studying about the ecu programming with my SCT pro-racers set up I noticed there are several parameters it mentions to change when/if manual tranny is installed.

Can't wait to see the end result! Need to make a video rowing through the gears.. :)

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haven't crossed that bridge yet. At this point I have switched the trans selecter control body to "N" and that seemed to work on my E40D in the '90. I noticed a CEL when I ran it after that was done, Father in law said it was there prior to the start fo the project, and I noticed that I couldn't free rev the motor past 3800.

It was a cut off or limiter thing. IIRC, that is a fail safe built into most, so that you don't float yer valves. Ever mashed the throttle on a vehicle with GOOD traction control, speed doesn't increase, and it kinda makes a strange gagging noise at half of 2/3 of the rpm range.

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well. It fired tonight. To DO list:

get exhaust rerouted, damned 271 is in the way.

Have clutch bled at a shop. Laugh if you want, but I don't own a fancy shmancy one man power bleeder thingy.

Ford sells the Superduty hydraulics as a sealed unit, pre bled, e.g. you get master, slave and line in one package. this is 01 F-150 Master, 1985 7.5l F250 line, 05 F350 slave. NO PETCOCKS!!!!!! WTF?

Cut new bolt slots in cross member for trans mount bolts....

Oh, and I apparently effed up the brake job I did 8 months ago, I can see the keeper pins rubbing against the wheel,pass front. Gotta adress that.

Need to figure out if VSS feed was off rear axle. Likes me some speedo...

Have a CEL.. Who knows? had one from the E4 dying, but has been w/o battery for almost 2 months, maybe it takes 90 days unplugged to reset codes, not 60?

And t-case out put for front driveshaft, did grenade the driver side rear 02.. That could be my CEL.

Oh, yeah and trim a heat shield... Ended up going with the ZF shifter stalk, as opposed to the one I had tapped. A mustang shift knob level, was much less functional with seats installed.

HAd a slight whirring noise as it was running,

Dry trans?

Starter needs shimmed?

New Throwout, so wee can rule that out... I'll figger it out, I always do.

Oh yeah, got the lines ran for the cooler tonight. First time bending line + OEM rental bender from Vatozone = creative splicing in lines... FAIL! will redo the one that is questionable later.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds like your moving right along... I am really wishing I had that granny low this morning as I was climbing some hills this morning. As for your CEL, if you run to oreilly's or a parts store, you can rent the scanner, and as long as youbring it back on time, you get all your money back, and the CELs will reset about 15 minutes after the battery is disconnected.

Good luck getting her all put back together and on the road again.

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Driving this thing, NEEDING THE ECM REFLASHED SO PERFORMANCE IS 25% OF WHAT IT SHOULD BE, is the most fun I have had in YEARS!!!!!!!!

Its like a Saleen ***** a Country Squire wagon one night in a bout of Drunken Lust, and I ended up with the Love Child that resulted from that tryst!!!!!!!!

First BPU for anyone wanting to up the out power to ground out put of their Expy.. is a ZF-6 upgrade. Its a must. In fact, it may be the first one listed in the "Ten Commandments of Expedition Ownership"...

Gonna go terrorize the neighborhood.. ciao baby!

by the way, 66 according the iPhone is 2k according to my tach.. anyone with an autotragic want to tell me what your r's are at 65,66?

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Woohoo!!! I love terrorizing the streets... Now to wait to graduate then swap mine... As for rpm, i think mine runs 1800, but can give you the exact rpm tomorrow. And i have 3.53 gears

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
Man that is bad ass...I love you take something and make it your own and one of a kind...I have to say the 6 speed is a cool thing...more pics and video please....

OP
OP
SourMashII

SourMashII

Full Access Members
Reaction score
After I get the ECM reflashed... I will definitely film some "wild horses" being displayed!

BakerEdition

EF Chaplain
Reaction score
If I was 20 years younger or filthy rich....I would do this in a heart beat....but since I aint either maybe some day I will come drive yours!!! I love the whole country squire thing...*****... NOTE: I was not referring that your either of the above, after I re-read it didnt sound right...I just admire what you have done...