04 Expy 5.4 increase engine performance for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skiffler

Reaction score
Hey guys I am a new owner of a 2004 Expy 5.4 with the heavy duty tow package, got a great deal only had 38k miles on her. I am looking at getting a boat weighing 8000lbs loaded including the trailer. I pulled a 6000lbs boat with no problem but I am thinking the extra 2000lbs may require a little extra umph for hills and such. Would it be worth the money to get an intake, cat back, and a programmer how much torque and hp would I expect to gain. Also should I replace the plugs right now there is only 44k miles but they are 10 years old. Thanks for the help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not meaning to sound like a chump, but it depends on how fast you want to go up the mountains.

I used to drive a big truck, we slow down going up the hills - it is a fact of life. I'm used to it so I just watch the temps and take it easy up and down.

Brakes are the big issue for me...

Last edited:

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and how steep they are...I would think for what your explaining that youre looking for it to be effortless and that would require a supercharger to me...the intake...exhaust...programmer is minimum but will wake up the truck with the programmer being the biggest result and having the greatest impact...might as well upgrade internal parts in the engine if im correct in my interpretation of what youre asking...

OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
Actually I am located on the coast so the hills are mainly limited to ramps and bridges. I am not trying to make the truck a racecar just a little extra power and try to keep the cost under a grand.

OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
I found an article from stang tv where the programmer intake and exhaust produce 20 hp and 30lbs of torque at the wheels. I would think you would be able to feel that increase right?

mapitts

Reaction score
Yes you will feel those numbers. What gear ratio do you have? You are looking for low end torque I would assume. With the '04 you have the PI heads. If low end torque is what you are looking for, I would make a tuner my first option. 5 Star makes a really good 93 octane performance tow / haul tune IMO. If that is not enough then you go from there. An exhaust set up may or may not be the way to go. If you open it up too much on a N/A engine, you will loose back pressure that is giving you your low end power. Plenty on the internet to read about on that subject. As far as an intake, to me, again IMO your stock airbox flows more than enough. I only run stock intakes and stock exhausts on both my Expy & my F150.

Coming from the Mustang world remember that they are looking for more top end power. The Mustang crowd is going the other way from us in the area of pwer that they want. I just got rid of a 2012 GT. It really did not come alive until around 3500- 4000.

Like stamp11127 said. Stopping your GVW would be another huge concern. 8000 lbs with just vehicle brakes is not going to be fun.

Last edited:

thenaaks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Backpressure is a misnomer/fallacy. What you're after is exhaust velocity, to help with scavenging. This can be accomplished with an upgraded muffler and tailpipe, of an appropriate diameter. I was told by a tech at Borla that my 98 5.4 would respond well to a 2.5" muffler and tailpipe. I regularly haul a 3500lb trailer and can tell there's increased low end, top end, and I've gained 1mpg.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
Stamp and Mapitts, I agree stopping is a concern the trailer will have brakes. I think will start with the programmer. In my younger days I had a Chevy S 10 with the 4.3 v6. The tuner, intake and exhaust made that thing move especially once I installed the tuner.

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys I am a new owner of a 2004 Expy 5.4 with the heavy duty tow package, got a great deal only had 38k miles on her. I am looking at getting a boat weighing 8000lbs loaded including the trailer. I pulled a 6000lbs boat with no problem but I am thinking the extra 2000lbs may require a little extra umph for hills and such. Would it be worth the money to get an intake, cat back, and a programmer how much torque and hp would I expect to gain. Also should I replace the plugs right now there is only 44k miles but they are 10 years old. Thanks for the help.

best ways to increase power output on a 04 truck is throttle body head port and a cam grind netting bigger lift just don't touch the duration.
headers. a tuner on this old of a vehicle with not so much power wont net you much gains infact in the real world tuners don't give much in HP.
going up and down hill will put strains on your brakes I would upgrade to a new disc and EBC brake pads.
I think I seen a comment about changing your GVW? that's impossible the only two ways of changing a trucks GVW legally is by the manufacture upgrading the axles/suspension and or taking weight off the vehicle by adding aluminum to the body. illegally add more rear springs. but in some states you can get heavy fines for this.
sorry to tell you but a tuner wont give you much.
worry about your top end if you want more power and torque and a CAI doesn't give much power. all they do is smooth out airflow through the intake to combustion chamber transition. the elements add little more air than compared to factory paper elements.

OP
OP
S

Skiffler

Reaction score
American Steel thanks for the advice. I am not trying to increase my GVW just trying to increase some power being that I ll be towing near my max, the trailer will have brakes too.