04 Expy 5.4 increase engine performance for Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mapitts

Reaction score
I think I seen a comment about changing your GVW? that's impossible the only two ways of changing a trucks GVW legally is by the manufacture upgrading the axles/suspension and or taking weight off the vehicle by adding aluminum to the body. illegally add more rear springs. but in some states you can get heavy fines for this

I should have said GCVW. If you have trailer brakes, you have half of the battle won.

Last edited:

american steel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gross Combine Vehicle Weight rating no matter what you cannot change this legally.
a trailer is also consider a vehicle a trailer may have ability given by its manufacture to have a higher GVW than your power unit/Vehicle but this does not mean it adds to your vehicles GVW rating or GCWR.
you must go by and do not exceed factory GCWR ratings. example no more than 9400 pounds this mean you must take the weight of your vehicle the driver and the trailer empty add those together and you will get what you can tow by or at the recommended GCWR
a GVW is what the vehicle/power unit can haul meaning the vehicle and its driver totaled then you will have the remaining available for cargo.
GVW of 7200 pounds
200 pound driver+4000 pound vehicle+4200 pounds you still have an extra 3000 pounds you can use this is what GVW is.
illegally you can change this.
and honestly trailer brakes for a ford expedition is kind of useless when the vehicle can stop its max GCVW rating fine. but trailer brakes do help some.