2015/2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
mdntblu

mdntblu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Posting the following in case it helps someone else.

I kept getting an error message that the installation failed, that it ran out of disk space or does not work with this version. This is after a Master Reset, formatting the 128GB SD card as exFAT, and using the Sync update from owners.ford.com. As a test, I tried the Nav version so kindly provided by LokiWolf next and that resulted in the same error message.

I went online in a chat with Ford's Sync support to see if they could help me, and she told me to use a 32GB USB stick. I had tried the 128GB stick because (a) I couldn't find one of 32GB and (b) more storage has to be better, right? Well, I found a 32GB stick, formatted it, copied the update to it and it worked. My Expy is now updated to V2.2.

So the moral of the story is:
  • Use a 32GB USB stick for the upgrade, as the unit seems to have problems reading larger sizes.

I was getting that same error and was finding that it wasn't about the size of the flash drive it was the type of flash drive. If it was USB 3.0 it seemed to not work but a USB 2.0 Flash drive worked just fine.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So the moral of the story is:
  • Use a 32GB USB stick for the upgrade, as the unit seems to have problems reading larger sizes.
I'm glad you got it working. I didn't get a notification of the posting here or I would have jumped in earlier. Further up in the thread it was determined that we needed to use older USB 2.0 drives and not USB 3.0 drives which are the newer ones. So the difference between your drives us probably your 128GB stick was 3.0 and the 32GB was 2.0. I used a 64GB stick to update mine.

5x10

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info fellas
Upgraded from 1.0 to 2.2 just now
Ordered the new hardware/hub for carplay

5x10

Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum.
Thanks Andy
Quick question, my wife's friend came over shortly after I upgraded my wife's software.
The friend has a 15 limited expedition
I went to see what software version she had the interface was completely different than the 1.0 in my wife's 16 model.
I couldn't even find the version when I went to the settings/general info tab

Did the 15s have a different version than the 16s?

I didn't try to update the 15 until I confirmed it could be done
She did have nav on it

Edit: never mind, thought u had a 15 model, misread

Last edited:

ElliottM

Reaction score
I'm glad you got it working. I didn't get a notification of the posting here or I would have jumped in earlier. Further up in the thread it was determined that we needed to use older USB 2.0 drives and not USB 3.0 drives which are the newer ones. So the difference between your drives us probably your 128GB stick was 3.0 and the 32GB was 2.0. I used a 64GB stick to update mine.
Actually, FWIW, I was using a USB 2.0 adapter in which you slip a micro SD card, as shown in the photo. I used the same adapter when I first tried the 128GB card and then the 32GB card, so it appears the issue was with using a 128GB card. IMG_0081.JPG

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Andy
Quick question, my wife's friend came over shortly after I upgraded my wife's software.
The friend has a 15 limited expedition
I went to see what software version she had the interface was completely different than the 1.0 in my wife's 16 model.
I couldn't even find the version when I went to the settings/general info tab

Did the 15s have a different version than the 16s?

I didn't try to update the 15 until I confirmed it could be done
She did have nav on it

Edit: never mind, thought u had a 15 model, misread
Does she just have the Sync? Sync has a 4 pane home screen instead of the three panes like the Sync 3. My son's 14 Flex has Sync.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It might and if LokiWolf checks in here he may know. He has some good connections.
Thanks for the mention!

The 15's have Sync 2, or Sync Touch(Basically the same thing). There are some updates available for these, but the updates we have talked about in this thread will not work. best way to see if you have the most current on a 15, is to go to Owner.ford.com. Go to update my Sync, and follow the instructions. Basically it will say whether you need an update, and will run you through some steps to verify.