2015/2016

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i am not sure what all was updated?
i use my phone for calls, usb for music
factory nav for nav o_O
weather from travel link
i am sure, i am not using 1/3rd of the system capability

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i am not sure what all was updated?
i use my phone for calls, usb for music
factory nav for nav o_O
weather from travel link
i am sure, i am not using 1/3rd of the system capability
I do pretty much the same thing. I'm technically competent but I listen to satellite radio, I use Waze for navigation, I wish I could put in on the main screen, and the rest, I just drive the truck. :) I have to teach my wife how to use Sync because she is my navigator when we go on long trips. I just drive. :D

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You guys had to manually update Sync? I seem to remember it asking me when I first initialized it how I wanted it to update....I think that since I have a fairly strong wi-fi signal at home, I told it to update using wi-fi. I'd have to check to see what version it's at now but I "might" have seen it telling me a while back that it was updating when I was getting ready to go somewhere....

Andy, the "apps" link may be greyed out if you don't have any mobile apps loaded on your phone?

jeff

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys had to manually update Sync? I seem to remember it asking me when I first initialized it how I wanted it to update....I think that since I have a fairly strong wi-fi signal at home, I told it to update using wi-fi. I'd have to check to see what version it's at now but I "might" have seen it telling me a while back that it was updating when I was getting ready to go somewhere....

Andy, the "apps" link may be greyed out if you don't have any mobile apps loaded on your phone?

jeff
My Sync 3 came with 2.0 from the factory and it said there were no updates available. I was able to use the update provided by LokiWolf to update to 2.2.

I have mobile apps on my phone and I understand that I have to be connected to with the cable to access them. What that screen is supposed to do is allow the system to use the data plan in my phone to contact Ford for updates when you are connected via the cable but it doesn't seem to allow me to access that part and when I have the cable plugged in I cannot get to that screen. It's just a weird thing that I'm trying to figure out. :)

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just went outside and checked and yes, mine is the 2.0 version. I tend to shy away from software or firmware updates before I can read the notes that usually accompany them...too many times I've read where people lost functionality with newer versions that they once had.

A quick search revealed these comments on various ford vehicles:

"There don't seem to be a lot of changes, other than as a whole the unit seems snappier, and the right side LCD display next to the speedometer is now displaying info from bluetooth sources."

It works. I did it about a month ago. Android Auto works well, especially the navigation with traffic and the voice recognition and destination searching is far superior. Can send text messages via the voice interface as well. On the sync3 navigation the speed limit shows up larger and more clearly which is nice.
Here is the change log for the 2.2 update from the 2gfusions post:

So I tried the update and got to 2.2, but now I can't change radio presets either by touchscreen or the steering controls. I did a master reset twice to no avail. I'm off to the dealer tomorrow for them to resolve it and an oil change.

So it looks like the update looses the use of radio presets, adds Android Auto which does not allow the use any interesting apps, just gives you a sexier voice. Anybody found anything of value in this update. Make sure your phone will install Android Auto before updating. Can I go back to an earlier version.

BACKGROUND

Many of us who bought a 2016 model with Sync 3 are still on v. 1.0. As it turns out, there is a v2.2 that has been leaked to the public (presumably originally by a Ford employee) last December. This is the same Sync 3 update that many folks have used to update their F150’s, Fusions, and Mustangs. Many Transit owners at this point have done so as well. Other models have started to have v2.2 show up through the automatic wifi updates. But it appears that no Transit has so far. Thus, many of us are going ahead and manually updating using a file downloaded onto a USB flash drive. It’s not clear why Ford hasn’t released it to everyone through the normal update process. It seems that there are few or no bugs with a proper install.

There are two main advantages of updating to v2.2: Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. If you don’t want to wait for these improvements, go for it. There are a few other software refinements also. If you want to use Apple CarPlay, you also have to replace the lower USB port (hub) with a newer version costing about $50 - $70. Installation of the port is easy. Downloading the files onto a USB and getting Sync updated is more challenging but went smoothly once I figured out which files to use.

See other instructions online if your Sync 3 is not the version with navigation, or if you don’t have a North American model, or if you aren’t running 1.0 or 1.1. And if you have a 2017, you should already have an updated system.

Change Log:

Sync 3 2.2.6

This software release is the latest update in our continued efforts to improve system performance, device connectivity, and the overall SYNC experience.

This software contains the following enhancements:
  • Updated voice recognition engine.
  • Bluetooth phone, media, and Wi-Fi improvements.
  • Navigation user interface improvements (if equipped).
  • Android Auto for supported devices.
  • Apple CarPlay for supported devices. Owners of 2016 models with SYNC 3 are required to perform a software upgrade and purchase a hardware upgrade through your dealer.
The installation of this update will take up to 60 minutes to complete. DO NOT remove your USB drive or turn off your vehicle. You must wait until Installation Complete is displayed on the center screen before removing your drive or turning your vehicle off. Be sure your vehicle engine is running (not in accessory mode) throughout the entire installation process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you initiate the installation process, once the download process has begun, you may drive your vehicle.

I'm good with my 2.0...other than the voice control defaulting to turning the heat on HI when if fails to understand ENGLISH<LOL>..it's alright.

jeff

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sync voice cracks me up..
my 2010 would let you search nav a bit better
i get frustrated when we are on road and want a particular place to eat...sync gets is wrong often
no to mention...the refusal to type in search stuff while moving. passenger should be able to do that

gblakeb

Reaction score
I was able to get mine up and running with the part mentioned earlier. Didn't take pictures as the video pretty much took care of everything.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All you guys that have updated to 2.2 are now broadcasting all sound and video straight into China<ROTFLMAO>...just like that news bit from a couple weeks ago that said the CIA lost control of software that would allow the user to tap into your Samsung smart TV to video the room and listen to what's being said....

If anyone wants to waste their time spying on me, they really need to get a life!

LOL

jeff

PS--Andy, notice any difference at all in the way it works or in features?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2.0 to 2.2 is a SMALL update, and changes very few things. We call it a Minor update. It has improvements to data sent to the right of the Speedometer for Media info as an example, and fixed a bug with some older iPhones(5s I have seen personally).

1.0/1.1 to 2.2 is a Major Update and gives you Android Auto, Apple CarPlay(With a supported Hub, more on that in a second), improved voice prompts(Quicker Speach), and better Font usage(In my opinion).

All 2017's have 2.0 or 2.2 and a CarPlay Supported hub out of the Factory. Some later 2016's have 2.0, and I have even run into a 2016(Really late production date) with a supported hub(VERY RARE).

In most cases like Brad discovered, 2016's need both the software and hardware change to support Carplay.

Ford has this update(2.2) in their system, because it is on cars currently shipping from the factory. The Dealers when they check to see if you need an update, do not see it, because ford has not released it for install, because of the Hub thing on the 2016's. Even Sync 3 can be updated over Wifi, they still have not released it via that method either, except to some Lincoln Vehicles.

Only way to get this update is to get it from the links that are now posted here, and pretty much any other ford owner site.

Jeff, as far as stability, and issues. I have seen no negatives because of the update, on the 30+ I have done in person for Family, Friends, and a local dealership on various 2016/2017 Fords. I personally took my 1.1 2016 Edge to 2.2 as one of the first 2 people that Jason used as tests for his install download. Still running it with no issues, and that was Dec 11/2016 that I installed it. Installed 2.2 on my 17 Expy before I even had bought it. Did it on the Test Drive(I knew the Salesman).

The Radio Preset issue is not an across the board issue, and I had not heard about that until you posted it. I can change mine on both of my vehicles. I have added and changed on Both vehicles since going to 2.2.

I would not be sharing this if I thought you lost any function, or it had issues. If you have 1.0 or 1.1, it is a no-brainer, DO IT. If you have 2.0, not that much of a big deal. Do it if you are having an issue, because it might resolve it.

Last edited: