'98 Eddie Bauer ZF5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everything is all buttoned up!
Just waiting for my sister to get home and move her truck parked in front of my garage :fca5278d:
In the mean time, a few pics!

IMAG0478.jpg

Drivelines done and back! But, the bozos at the driveline shop cut the front about 1/4" too short :flipthebird: I guess I'll have to get a redneck 4x4 driveline spacer.

IMAG0477.jpg

In progress of finishing the interior and shifter boot. Notice the brand new OEM shift knob. :bleh:

IMAG0479.jpg

View of the dash minus the PRND21. The indicator just snaps out of the instrument cluster. A squirt of black spray paint and all gone!

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just have one word to describe the new modification. Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!
If this is how it runs in "limp mode"I am dying to see what it runs like in full mode. The manual accelerates much harder and faster than the mush box ever did.
I recommend this swap to anyone who wants to bring out more in their Expy or F150.

Am3ricanInfid3L

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was a great read! Sometimes, I dream about doing a 7.3L swap, and going for a manual tranny... That would be the perfect Expy. This post just reminds me of the possibilities lol

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to see a write up for the 2wd 4.6 with the 3.31 rear end. i've just started driving OTR and am no longer used to an auto slushbox any longer.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to see a write up for the 2wd 4.6 with the 3.31 rear end. i've just started driving OTR and am no longer used to an auto slushbox any longer.

With the 4.6l you could use the Mazda tranny. However, with that high of rear end ratio, I would lean more toward the ZF5. The ZF5 has a low 1st gear ratio, not quite a compound low like the old 4 speed trucks, but much lower than the M50D.
Parts list is fairly short and basic. If you wanna go the ZF5 route I would be happy to swap some notes with ya.

Mediamonkey11 said:
Are you going to get a different ECU or get it reprogrammed?
I checked with my local Ford dealership today. They claim to not be able to flash my ECM with a manual transmission program. I have emailed the guys at 5 Star Tuning and will likely buy a tuner with a couple of custom tunes from them.
But the good news, my Expy runs damn near as good now as it did the the slush box. I may just unplug the CEL. :signs6:

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick pic of my final decision on the interior.
A little redneck ingenuity and some help from my GF and the manual trans looks stock!

IMAG0480.jpg

The only semi tricky part was fabricating a "V" shaped bracket to adjust the shift lever angle. No, I didn't get any pics of that process. Was in the groove and makin' progress. Besides, it's like a movie I and can't give away the plot twist in the end. :emotions33:

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sometimes, I dream about doing a 7.3L swap, and going for a manual tranny... That would be the perfect Expy. This post just reminds me of the possibilities lol

7.3L would be tough... Granted the end result would be badass, but it would be a major PITA!
The next idea I am looking at is a V-10 swap. It's been done already, now I needa figger it out! Just imagine a V-10 5 speed Expedition. The thought makes me smile. Doing it would be perma grin!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the 4.6l you could use the Mazda tranny. However, with that high of rear end ratio, I would lean more toward the ZF5. The ZF5 has a low 1st gear ratio, not quite a compound low like the old 4 speed trucks, but much lower than the M50D.
Parts list is fairly short and basic. If you wanna go the ZF5 route I would be happy to swap some notes with ya.

yeah, when the funds become avail I may just do it, but also get a new/used rear end to get some more power. thing is, I think i need to get that engine out of there too. for a right side head coolant leak I haven't had time to look at yet. being OTR i don't get but a few days a month at home.