'98 Eddie Bauer ZF5 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bowesmobile

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick pic of my final decision on the interior.
A little redneck ingenuity and some help from my GF and the manual trans looks stock!

IMAG0480.jpg

The only semi tricky part was fabricating a "V" shaped bracket to adjust the shift lever angle. No, I didn't get any pics of that process. Was in the groove and makin' progress. Besides, it's like a movie I and can't give away the plot twist in the end. :emotions33:

This is really cool! Good work man! You are giving me the manual trans itch! If I could find a good used ZF5 or ZF6 that mates to a mod motor for less than 2k. I would be all over it! I would really love to get rid of the auto slush box!

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
+1/Like

Which version of the ZF5 are you using? Wide or close ratio? Do you have the identifier number? Just curious.

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am using a wide ratio tranny. It came out of a '99 F-350 with a 5.4.
Towed my travel trailer for the first time this morning. LOVE... IT... !!!
Was easy to start out in second gear. No slipping the clutch whatsoever. If I need a little extra grunt, first gear was always sitting there waiting.
As far as ease of installation, the ZF5 is a lot easier than the ZF6. I originally wanted to go with the ZF6, but after all is said and done I think the ZF5 was the better option.
No matter which direction you may choose, the manual is an instant upgrade over the mush box. I am already seeing a consistent 2-3 mpg gain under virtually all driving conditions. I personally love seeing the instant mileage meter showing 20-22 mpg rolling 65mph down the freeway.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
let us know what the actual mpg is by doing a fill up then fill up again to divide miles by gallons used. I don't have the little computer for mpg but I get 16 mpg mixed average on my 4speed auto with the 3.31 rear end.

still want to see what it'll do when you tune the ecu for the 5 speed

OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So far, my mileage is sucking. Just can't seem to stop myself from playing. The manual is just too much fun!!! Especially since third gear will go well beyond 70mph. Vrooooom!!!

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds fun, my first real experience is behind a 9 speed freightliner cascadia. this thing is mean when i am just bobtailing so I can only imagine the expy when there isn't a torque converter between the engine and wheels.

reece146

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much does your trailer weigh?

Six speed transmissions are nice to have but a five speed works well obviously. Having two overdrive gears really doesn't get you anything most of the time.

Last edited:

Manlavi95

Reaction score
Sweet swap! Just a couple questions that are gnawing at me.
1. Where did you get you speed signal
2. Where would you suggest I source parts if I were considering a similar swap?
3. Did you use the factory transfer case?

I see you want to go the 6.8 route, I want to go the 5.4SC route in the end

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yudaman

Yudaman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sweet swap! Just a couple questions that are gnawing at me.
1. Where did you get you speed signal
2. Where would you suggest I source parts if I were considering a similar swap?
3. Did you use the factory transfer case?

I see you want to go the 6.8 route, I want to go the 5.4SC route in the end

I used the factory BW4406 transfer case. The speed sensor is off the tailshaft of the t-case, so that made life easy.
Parts were fairly easy to find. Pedal assembly from a wrecking yard, clutch fork and shifter knob from Ford, the rest from Napa or Autozone.

For the guys questioning the difference in the 6 speed versus the 5 speed, they are both good. The 6 speed does not have an extra overdrive. 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th on a ZF5. But the gears in front of 6th have a closer ratio. Meaning not as much ratio gap between gears. 1st gear is also a compound low as well as reverse.

Manlavi95

Reaction score
I used the factory BW4406 transfer case. The speed sensor is off the tailshaft of the t-case, so that made life easy.
Parts were fairly easy to find. Pedal assembly from a wrecking yard, clutch fork and shifter knob from Ford, the rest from Napa or Autozone.

For the guys questioning the difference in the 6 speed versus the 5 speed, they are both good. The 6 speed does not have an extra overdrive. 6th gear is the same ratio as 5th on a ZF5. But the gears in front of 6th have a closer ratio. Meaning not as much ratio gap between gears. 1st gear is also a compound low as well as reverse.

Thank you very much, now I'm very interested. My 4R100 is starting to make a noise that sounds like sizzling water coming from the pan. Also, is the pedal assembly from an F-250?

Last edited: