Adding Rear 3rd Row Speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
That is an idea, but the only problem with that method is when the rear space is filled with suitcases, etc on trips, the kids in the 3rd row would not be able to hear much from the speakers.

I liked the placement of the factory pieces in the Navigator...just wish Ford would put these in all vehicles with 3rd rows like GM does in their products!! It doesn't have to be a THx audio system, just give me the stereo sound back where I need it.

Another side benefit is I have the Bluetooth phone connection with the Sync system. When we make phone calls to Home with the kids in the back, they can actually hear what "Mom" is saying to them over the newly added speakers!

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hmmm....

Those looked nicer than I thought they would and I agree they are definitely in the right spot. I am in the process of upgrading all of the speakers in my 2007 Expedition EL. I purchased a set of 1" tweeters to go back there, but now I think I like those better.

But I have a few questions:

1. What size are those rear speakers, 3.5 inches, 4" (diameter)?

2. Can you post a picture of the speakers you purchased separately?

3. Can you get the D-pillar trim panels without the speakers?

My other speakers that I am upgrading to are Infinity speakers so I would rather keep all speakers the same brand.

OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
The Speakers are THx certified speakers. They are about 2" speakers, but they can deliver all the sound you will want and need.

I'll see if I can find some copies of the pictures I sent bhaycraft when I received the first set of speakers.

As for the trim panels, I bet you could order them. I just tossed out my old ones since I won't need them any longer, but I don't think you could easily modify them for any other speaker and have them sit flush in the D pillar. I consulted with several stereo shops here in Atlanta about that an came up with nothing good.

Hope that helps.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if i have anyone in the 3rd row...there's no luggage or anything of that nature...i have 2 kids...but that would still cause sound deficiency...i only let the left side down when traveling for my daughter loves being away from her brother...

good point jmciver...now i'm thinking of putting them on the roof right by the dome light in the rear...or something

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Speakers are THx certified speakers. They are about 2" speakers, but they can deliver all the sound you will want and need.

I'll see if I can find some copies of the pictures I sent bhaycraft when I received the first set of speakers.

As for the trim panels, I bet you could order them. I just tossed out my old ones since I won't need them any longer, but I don't think you could easily modify them for any other speaker and have them sit flush in the D pillar. I consulted with several stereo shops here in Atlanta about that an came up with nothing good.

Hope that helps.
Andy, if you can't find any pics, can you take some measurements of the speaker housing portion of the trim piece, which would actually help me out better? I have found a set of Infinity Reference 2-Way 3.5" speakers (that match the other Infinity Reference speakers I am upgrading to) that look like they would fit nicely in that spot (but it is difficult to tell the size from your pics since my D-pillar trim piece is different than yours since I have the EL).

The total height of the speakers are 2 1/16" from the top of the tweeter to the bottom of the magnet. The diameter is 3.5" and 4 1/8" wide at the mounting tab points.

h1083032CF-f.jpeg

BTW, which Kicker Amp did you get and where did you put it? I am using two Kicker ZX200.4 Amps as part of my speaker upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

AndyGJ

Reaction score
Those won't work with factory D pillar housing. The speakers are special mount and only 2.25 wide. Not much room back there either, and those speakers were only about 2 inches deep as well.

bhaycraft had been trying to get the D pillars for the EL and having trouble with finding the parts. I would try to use these if you can get them as the pillars and the speakers come intact...they sound awesome!!

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Those won't work with factory D pillar housing. The speakers are special mount and only 2.25 wide. Not much room back there either, and those speakers were only about 2 inches deep as well.

bhaycraft had been trying to get the D pillars for the EL and having trouble with finding the parts. I would try to use these if you can get them as the pillars and the speakers come intact...they sound awesome!!
Hmmm... That is unfortunate. I already have the Infinity tweeters (1" diameter) in hand so I guess I will stick to my original plan and modify my exististing D-pillars for them, which will not be hard.

jmciver

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well I just finished wiring up my D-pillar speakers to see how they would sound and I am very impressed and even surprised. They are 1" tweeters from the Infinity Reference line and they definitely add some nice rear fill, and I have an EL too :) . However, I am sure any decent brand 1" tweeters would perform just as well.

I still plan to flush mount them to my original D-pillar trim pieces. But if I don't like how they look, I still may get the factory D-pillar pieces (w/o the speakers) and install them in there.

My install is not completely done yet (I need to put the car back together now :eek: ), but I would definitely recommend this upgrade to the sound system, whether you use all OEM parts or aftermarket.

CROSSOVER

Reaction score
07' el

I am not a Ford guy, but just switched over from GMC, I just can't believe that for 50k Ford did not spec rear speakers. all you can hear back there is the thump of a wimpy subwoofer and very little music. I will def look into getting those speakers installed.

Puchichi

Reaction score
Clean Install

Here are some pictures of my installed speakers in the 3rd row...first two are Right Rear D pillar and third one is Left Rear (sorry about funny picture angle). You can see that the factory panels place the speaker at the optimum height and angle to maximize the sound for the passengers in the third row. Even the 2nd row passengers can hear the speakers as it blends the overall sound nicely. You can hear it very faintly from the front row, if at all, went the fader is centered for all sets of speakers.

I think it really helps out the third row to balance out the sound output of the subwfr for when someone is sitting in that third row...all that base can start to drive you nuts...not so anymore.

Cleanest install i've seen in a while! Enjoy it.