Anyone know of a good love-bug screen?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
If you’ve travelled in Florida during love bug mating season, you’ve likely experienced the crazy mess of hundreds, sometimes thousands, of dead love bugs stuck to the front bumper, hood, and in the grill. I travel a lot in Florida; my 2022 Expedition’s build date is approaching and I want to spare the front end from being a love bug graveyard.

Does anyone know of a good temporary bug screen that isn’t screwed in place and doesn’t damage the paint at highway speeds?

A google search shows a few that bolt on and some that strap on, but I’m concerned the cheap universal ones might flap in the wind and damage the paint. And I don’t want to screw into my new Expy. Any helpful suggestions are appreciated.

Beachums

Reaction score
Clear Bra.... I'm not trying to be a smart-a, but that's what I am doing for my love-bug concern. Don't forget, a normal "screen" will likely interfere with the radar in the front if your Expy is equipped.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suggest polishing and waxing the vehicle, especially the parts more prone to bug splatter. It makes it very easy to wash off the bug remains with a warm rag. The ceramic glass coat I put on my windshield is still there over a month later.

OP
OP
P

PhoenixRizez

Reaction score
Thanks for the ideas. Those little buggers wreaked havoc on my wife's Maxima over the years and I'm hoping to avoid that.

I've been looking at the paint protection coatings, it looks like people have mixed reviews about them, but for the abuse the front end takes, especially down here, it seems like it would be worth it as long as I get a good brand that's installed by a professional.

I also just looked up the ceramic window coating, I'd never even heard of that before. I'll check it out as well.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are several brands for ceramic coatings. I used a turtle wax product on my glass and Collinite 845 for the body. So far I'm happy with the combo. The wax was easy on and off, but I did a lot of work with polish and clay bar before application. It's been several months and it's still holding despite the vehicle being stored outdoors on Houston heat.

The turtle wax ceramic glass product was a very pleasant surprise. I thought the wipers would take it off for certain but it's still holding for several months. The lack of rain could be a contributor to the longevity of the product as well.