Are these struts busted?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

sixsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This has been talked about extensively before. Ford OEM struts are garbage. I went thru (2) sets of 4 in 15k miles. First set was under warranty, second set was not. Would not have made any difference anyway. I was not going to put a third set of that crap on. I have been very happy with my Bilstein's. You will be replacing those warranty units soon.

Probably. I actually noticed them leaking a while ago but had forgot about it. They looked much worse now than they did 15k ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For Expeditionandy

Just local around town, Never off road. My 2011 just turned over 33k mile. So pretty much a cream puff. The only time I really work my truck is towing my boat and that is not very often.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For Expeditionandy

Just local around town, Never off road. My 2011 just turned over 33k mile. So pretty much a cream puff. The only time I really work my truck is towing my boat and that is not very often.
Wow, that is pretty bad. I expected you to say that you really worked it hard. That's the kind of driving I do. Just highways, local streets and some bouncy country roads a once a month or so. I've had my 17 since February and I just have slightly under 5,000 miles on it. I'll have to keep an eye on mine to see how they hold up. I'm hoping the went to a different supplier for 15-17. :(

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that is pretty bad. I expected you to say that you really worked it hard. That's the kind of driving I do. Just highways, local streets and some bouncy country roads a once a month or so. I've had my 17 since February and I just have slightly under 5,000 miles on it. I'll have to keep an eye on mine to see how they hold up. I'm hoping the went to a different supplier for 15-17. :(

Yes I was pretty disappointed. I don't believe they have changed vendors. Basicly they are Monroes. And in recent years they have been very poor. All 4 were initially leaking badly by 5000 miles so keep an eye on yours. I think that is an area that Ford could specify a higher quality product but apparently they are cutting costs there. I believe there are many more out there leaking and people just don't know it because you really can't see the strut unless you get under the truck in most cases.

BTW I think I told you in a different thread. Great looking truck you have. Always love the white in an Expedition and great looking wheels.

Expy Window Trim.jpg

This is mine in the XLT. Only year they offered the King Ranch wheels as an option and I love them. This is a picture that a vendor uses on ebay to sell the SS door and window trim strips. I have also upgraded to the SS Roof Rack Rails since this picture.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes I was pretty disappointed. I don't believe they have changed vendors. Basicly they are Monroes. And in recent years they have been very poor. All 4 were initially leaking badly by 5000 miles so keep an eye on yours. I think that is an area that Ford could specify a higher quality product but apparently they are cutting costs there. I believe there are many more out there leaking and people just don't know it because you really can't see the strut unless you get under the truck in most cases.

BTW I think I told you in a different thread. Great looking truck you have. Always love the white in an Expedition and great looking wheels.

View attachment 21714

This is mine in the XLT. Only year they offered the King Ranch wheels as an option and I love them. This is a picture that a vendor uses on ebay to sell the SS door and window trim strips. I have also upgraded to the SS Roof Rack Rails since this picture.
That is a nice looking truck too. I still love those wheels.

I love the fancy striping.

I also like the chrome strips on the rear windows. Where did you get them? I'd like order a set for the rear windows to complete the truck and I like the chrome trim on the tail lights too.

I put the King Ranch wheels on my old 05 I bought them from a guy in Texas, He shipped them to me. They came off an 2010 F150, I just changed the sensors and they looked great. Here is a picture of it. It had air suspension with the kneel feature so it always squat down when you opened the door to make it easier to get out and then it would air up when you closed the door and put it in gear.

Raised White Letters 1.JPG Raised White Letters 2.JPG

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I put the King Ranch wheels on my old 05 I bought them from a guy in Texas, He shipped them to me. They came off an 2010 F150, I just changed the sensors and they looked great. Here is a picture of it. It had air suspension with the kneel feature so it always squat down when you opened the door to make it easier to get out and then it would air up when you closed the door and put it in gear.

Its 'blue', and it kneels. Hmmmmm.......

svfetter

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I also like the chrome strips on the rear windows. Where did you get them? I'd like order a set for the rear windows to complete the truck and I like the chrome trim on the tail lights too.

Thanks Andy. Cool that you like the KR wheels too. I had a 2000 expedition with the 4 wheel air suspension as well. Really like it but it is expensive to repair if needed. Luckily I never had to.

You can still get all the ss trim on eBay. Do a search for expedition ss door trim and look for a picture of my truck. Make sure you tell the if it is standard length or EL.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found them. He had 2 sets of the EL left so I ordered one set.

Did he have the trim for the tail lights too? I didn't see it.

My air suspension worked great. I had to replace the compressor that was on only repair necessary. I wish I could have gotten it on the 17.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score

View attachment 21716 View attachment 21717

That was a great looking 2nd generation expy. I still have my 03. I decided to keep it for towing and use the Navigator for pleasure cruising.

Also can you tell me how to get a new thread to come up with bold type? Thanks

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani