Cranks by it self....Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

RIVERA RACING

Reaction score
Well I found the relay........should I replace it or wait until it do it again.

OP
OP
R

RIVERA RACING

Reaction score
It just did it again and I pulled the relay out and it kept doing it......so is not the relay.....Help.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Two logical possibilities:
1) you pulled the wrong relay
2) solenoid on the starter is sticking & keeping the starter engaged.

Next time it happens remove the maxi fuse #101 in the same box as the relay. This controls power to the relay. If it stops then we know where to look closer. If not then pull the starter and have it checked repeatedly.

If you can read wiring diagrams send me a pm with an email address to send them to.

Last edited:
OP
OP
R

RIVERA RACING

Reaction score
I pulled the right relay cause when I pulled it and try to start it wont..put it back and it will start.....

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That narrows it down to the solenoid on the starter. Depending on how old the starter is may may only need to swap out the solenoid. But if it is original then consider replacing it with a rebuilt unit just for the convenience factor and only having to do it once.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you change it - remember to disconnect the battery first. I've had students try to swap starters by taking shortcuts.

Free entertainment and gets exciting quickly. "i bet that woke your ass up didn't it?"

OP
OP
R

RIVERA RACING

Reaction score
Ok so you recommend to change the starter 100%..........just don't change the starter solenoid.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Going by your information on the starter sticking, yes I would change the starter. I would also check the resistance of the battery cables while it is out. Since you have salt to deal with in winter the connections can be corroded and should be cleaned. Resistance will lower the total possible amp draw to the starter. It can get to the point of a no start.