Electrical Short that isn't Blowing a Fuse

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
20170517_103025.jpg I've corrected this post. Compared to mine there is a harness missing that connects to the lower large stud on the solenoid.
You should not have any volts on the small wire - check it again. If you have a helper, check the voltage on the wire when the ignition switch is turned to start.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
The thin red one connected to the top post comes from the starter and the thicker one connected to the bottom is going to the battery

1495031366171910590313.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
One other thing I done just for giggles was I took the smaller wire off and kept the larger one to the bottom post on took the negative side of the battery off put it back on and still got a spark when I put it back on

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Attached pic is of my 01 expy Your 01 should be the same

Make sure you install the nuts otherwise your connection will be no better than twisting wires together

20170517_111535.jpg

OP
OP
T

Tim Skinner

Reaction score
Well sorry for the long Delay (work Calls) I connected all the wires back in their respective locations and achieved the same results, this weekend when my helper is available I'll have him hold the Key in the start position and I'll be able to get and post those results

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Once you have your helper there is one more test to perform with the meter. Battery should be fully charged.

Voltage drop test:
Meter set on dc volts
Red lead on positive post (not clamp)
Black lead on the solenoid stud that goes to starter (lower stud?)
Attemp to start the engine for 2 seconds. Observe the reading.

Reading should be .2v or less. If it is above that amount move the black lead to the other large stud and repeat the test. Let us know the values. A high reading indicates excessive resistance in the wire.