Favorite Features

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The platinum are popular. Im the only person i kno thats ordering/purchasing a limited. The one person i sae who was ordering an xlt changed their order to a platinum. I guess price cant be too bad

killaz05

Reaction score
So am I understanding this correctly that the Fx4 is the only Expedition with a two speed transfer case? There is no low range on other models with 4WD? If that is the case then that narrows my search to an XLT model. That sucks cause I do want some of the options on the limited and I love the LED lights.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So am I understanding this correctly that the Fx4 is the only Expedition with a two speed transfer case? There is no low range on other models with 4WD? If that is the case then that narrows my search to an XLT model. That sucks cause I do want some of the options on the limited and I love the LED lights.
The build-and-price configurator on Ford's website shows it as included with the heavy duty towing package.

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1. FX4 package; wouldn't have even considered an Expedition without it.
2. 9300lb towing capacity on the FX4 package! (vs 6000lb on the Suburban).
3. Adaptive cruise control: not available on the Suburban.
4. No captain's chair option. Z71 Suburbans are tough to find. Finding an 8 passenger version that's not black is nigh impossible. < rant > Who on earth orders an off road package and picks black as a color?!? I mean you order the off road package because you don't want to break anything while you beat it up. And then you go and order it the color which shows even the tiniest scratch? < /rant >

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
no that is wrong, plats and limited do come with two speed transfer case and its also part of the HD tow package key .
tow speed is flat four towable and is only one available with the 4AUTO 4wd system . it looks like the base model 4x4 xlt is the one speed transfer case, so probably almost NONE will be that way, maybe some government xlt 4x4 expys

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On the video I watched the Ford rep said every single expy with 4x4 will have a two speed transfer case. 4x4 has absolutely nothing to do with trim level FYI it's its own option and system. I like the truck interior it shouldn't look like a car it's not. I wish it looked more trucky to be honest. I liked the days where full size SUVs had truck front ends.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
On the video I watched the Ford rep said every single expy with 4x4 will have a two speed transfer case. 4x4 has absolutely nothing to do with trim level FYI it's its own option and system. I like the truck interior it shouldn't look like a car it's not. I wish it looked more trucky to be honest. I liked the days where full size SUVs had truck front ends.
As far as I've seen the two speed transfer case only comes with the heavy duty tow package. This is according to the 2018 Expy order guide, unless I read it wrong.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Seems correct, you would have to get the tow pkg to get the 2 speed transfer case. But seeing as the pkg is bundled with the high end models(limited 302/platinum), its pretty hard not to get it.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty stupid to get 4LO you'd have to get a towing package. The two have nothing to do with each other 4LO is for severe duty off roading nothing to do with hauling. Ford is starting to make no sense. Any vehicle optioned with 4WD should have two speeds. On mine when you optioned control trac 4WD (it was its own individual option) it came with a two speed transfer case which is how it should be. There is absolutely no incentive in my view to buy a new expy after seeing build and price ($3,000 more base than Tahoe/Yukon and it has a V6?!) no thank you.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dlcorbett

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mileage figures havent been released yet, how do you kno theyre more efficient? Most ford option pkgs seem off i agree, but most ppl tow with these anyway(many times on this forum members say to get the tow pkg for the benefits anyway). And if you dnt offroad but need 4wd, why do you need a 2 spd transfer case? Yes, an expy is about 3k more than a gm, but your getting more features as well. Also, that price doesn't include the 6.2l engine as well. The denali fully loaded is the same if not a bit more than the expy and is not noticably faster or more efficient with the 6.2l. Also, ppl can go out to buy a gm, and they can get a product less roomy, more prone to defects, less comfortable on the road, less usuable, and generally less ppl friendly. Just sounds like your hating on it just to hate on it honestly.