Feels/sounds like rumble strips when at 35/45 mph...help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hardline

Reaction score
This is the classic description of tcc judder. Warranty or a reputable trans shop are your best bets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hard line might have something there. Torque convertor shudder could be part if your problem. Wheel bearings usually get louder as speed increases. The weird thing is your problem started after banging on hub bearings. It wouldn't hurt to have it checked out. They recommend changing tranny fluid first on Fords. It's weird how sometimes you'll work on another part, then something else pops up. Use to happen to me when I worked on customers motorcycles.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, just got off phone with a friend who's an expert on transmissions. Here's what he said. Get it up to the speed where it rumbles, keep your right foot on gas, then with left foot, lightly press on brake. If it goes away it's probably your torque convertor. Also try your test with overdrive off. It may be the torque convertor is trying to spool on and off. Let us know.

Hardline

Reaction score
The 6r80 will only operate in unlocked only mode in m2 and m1

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So will the torque convertor test work with his trans, hard line ?

OP
OP
R

rackops

Reaction score
All:

This is some great info! Just to answer an earlier question...yes, the plugs were replaced at the first dealership. I'll check the tires (have them checked at a reputable tire place) but most importantly, I'll check the tcc...from the previous thread, that might just be it! Probably this weekend (assuming we're not snowed in!) I'll try it out and post up what I find.

Thanks all!

Dave

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok tried everything. So rumble happens between 24 and about 37mph. Foot on the brake still rumbles.
OD off foot on the brake rumbles.
Once I was even able to up shift while foot on the brake, revving the engine while maintaining the rumble speeds and no change.
Second gear foot on the brake no change.
Got up to about 30mph put the car in neutral and still rumbles.

So I am pretty sure mine is the bearing. Anywho...hubs should be arriving tomorrow, will do the update as soon as install is done. :)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like your getting dirty, keep us posted.

Hardline

Reaction score
So will the torque convertor test work with his trans, hard line ?

It will, but only in a modified fashion. TCC will only unlock if the shift lever is put into 2 or 1. Al other gears (3,D,OD Off) the TCC will remain locked unless the torque demand is greater than the engine can provide, but not great enough to trigger a downshift.

If it was a bearing, the vibration would get worse with speed, not go away after a certain speed.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the bearing getting louder. I just realized we had two different people I was trying to diagnose. The first was rack ops, then I didn't realize black 4x4 snuck in on me. He had similar problems so I thought it was rack ops. Sorry about that. Let us know rack ops if you made any head way on your problem.