Feels/sounds like rumble strips when at 35/45 mph...help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

j2gifted

Reaction score
I should have updated this thread once I solved the issue. This is torque converter shudder. Who knows the real reason why but there are a couple of fixes. First, buy some Dr. Tranny Instant Shudder Fix. If this is the issue, the shudder will go away with in just a couple of miles driving once this added to the transmission. Remember, this is a sealed tranny....there is no dipstick in the engine compartment. There is a service port on the passenger side at the front of the tranny. The bolt is 19mm. I used one tube, wished I had used two!

Next thing is servicing the transmission. Probably a flush and fill with the proper fluid, which I think is Mercon V. I haven't gotten to this part yet...still wanting to see how long the Dr Tranny holds.

I'm having the same issue on my 07 Limited.

I bought the Dr. Tranny stuff [4 tubes lol], but there's not one trans shop in my area that's willing to open up the service port and put it in. Ive been to several and been told:

- It's a very expensive transmission and this won't work.

- These additives only make the fluid thicker and can cause problems.

- I will have to drain some of the transmission fluid out to get the stuff to fit in.

- We can only open in up if you let us fill it with out fluid [Jiffy Lube].

I'm not comfortable putting it in myself since it's under the vae next to the catalytic converter, and since the service port would require the fluid to be put in at an angle [don't have the tools for that].

Any suggestions?

Also, can the stuff be put in cold, or does the car have to be warm/running?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I gotta say that I tend to agree with some of what they have told you. It's a very sophisticated electronically controlled transmission. If I had those symptoms, I would first do a complete flush and filter replacement, and see if that fixes the issue. I would only consider adding an additive as a last resort prior to tranny rebuild. This is only my opinion, and others may think differently. As to the other points you noted, you can certainly crawl under there and add this stuff while it's cold. I suspect the main reason a shop won't add this for you is liability.

Good luck!

j2gifted

Reaction score
I gotta say that I tend to agree with some of what they have told you. It's a very sophisticated electronically controlled transmission. If I had those symptoms, I would first do a complete flush and filter replacement, and see if that fixes the issue. I would only consider adding an additive as a last resort prior to tranny rebuild. This is only my opinion, and others may think differently. As to the other points you noted, you can certainly crawl under there and add this stuff while it's cold. I suspect the main reason a shop won't add this for you is liability.

Good luck!
I appreciate your feedback!

Do I need a special tool to add it?

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, just remove the cap and dipstick on the passenger side of the transmission. It's a pain, for sure.

I just changed the transmission fluid and filter on my 2010 this weekend. It went very smooth and wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, FYI. Having 4 steel ramps helped a bunch!

OP
OP
R

rackops

Reaction score
Just an update to mine...we took it to the local transmission shop and they recommended a torque converter flush. Sure enough, $175 later, it works perfectly! So indeed, it was the torque converter...

Hope this helps others!

j2gifted

Reaction score
I took mine to the dealership, I showed them the TSB and let them know about the torque converter... but they said that wasn't it.

They said the valve body needed to be replaced... since my warranty covered it, I let them do it and it resolved the issue.

MB_07Expy

Reaction score
Had a similar issue with mine also turned out to be the torque converter. Took it to the dealer flushed and filled been doing fine ever since. Just make sure the correct fluid was used which is Mercon SP I believe. Due to the parts guy screwing up they did mine with Mercon V the first time and luckily I caught it and had them redo it.

ONEBADMK8

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just test drove an 07 EB EL and was going to buy it until I head the rumble strips, it is NOT bearings at all lol if it were it would happen all the time, it for sure is in the trans I passed on it and it was gorgeous and cheap too. Oh well.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65