How About a 2015 to present thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
andy, did yours come with hankooks are some other tire brand? ours has hankook.
thanks

my 13 f150, would do this periodically
the expy so far has not done it to the point of standing out.
but a part of the logic in the tranny, brains does disengage the torque converter near the 2 to 1 down shift when speeds are low, as in 5mph, as explained to me a few years back.
its similar to my engine brake on the motorhome, down at 10mph it will disengage and you roll free as it were, if you add throttle it will clunk as the 1200 ft lb of tq brings the bus back in motion
at a rolling stop..which is illegal :banana-mario:, i think the vehicle is doing the free wheel action, then if you mash the gas it has to re-engage and maybe this is the clunk as it is deciding which gear to to select.
i have noticed my tranny will not go through every gear all the time. i have seen 1 to 3 upshifts and 3 to 5 a few times, if i am accelerating on a downward slope.
You described my scenario perfectly and it makes sense. The more I think about it it seems like maybe it's between gears when it happens. It's just really annoying and a very unfamiliar sound to me. I've had many automobiles in my time and none of them did that like this Expedition does.

Thanks Andy
i like my hankooks, funny, as all my rides are riding on them. The motorhome has hankooks.

the ones on the expy seem so be wearing really well.
the bridgestones on the 13 f150 were really worn bad at 29999 miles, when i traded it .

i was worried the expy would come with the scorpions, i had them on the 2010 f150 and they wore out FAST. i had seen a few expys with the scorpions and bridgestones. was surprised to find the hankooks on the vehicle we bought
I got the Hankook Dynapro HT on mine. Seem like decent tires. I just put a set of the Pirelli Scorpions on my wife's MDX and really like them. Seem to wear good and much quieter than the Michelines she had on there before

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to swear by the Michelin LTX's on my two previous Expy's then "my guy" suggested that I get the Hankooks on the last one after they stopped making the LTX tires. The total was hundreds cheaper and they seemed to wear pretty well.

On my first Expy I would buy tires individually because raising a family doesn't always give you the cash to buy two at a time at 300 a pop and had one LTX that was on the right-rear for 9 years....it just never wore out!

These Hankooks on my new truck seem to do well in the rain & the one lousy snowstorm( I love deep snow) we got this year but they do seem to make a lot of road noise.

And I wouldn't worry about the "clunk"....mine does it also. I thought that it was the compressor I keep in the "way back" but I wrapped it in towels and still hear it. I had thought it was coming from the rear differential but what was said earlier seems to make sense. I'll keep an eye on it while I'm still in warranty....

jeff

OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to swear by the Michelin LTX's on my two previous Expy's then "my guy" suggested that I get the Hankooks on the last one after they stopped making the LTX tires. The total was hundreds cheaper and they seemed to wear pretty well.

On my first Expy I would buy tires individually because raising a family doesn't always give you the cash to buy two at a time at 300 a pop and had one LTX that was on the right-rear for 9 years....it just never wore out!

These Hankooks on my new truck seem to do well in the rain & the one lousy snowstorm( I love deep snow) we got this year but they do seem to make a lot of road noise.

And I wouldn't worry about the "clunk"....mine does it also. I thought that it was the compressor I keep in the "way back" but I wrapped it in towels and still hear it. I had thought it was coming from the rear differential but what was said earlier seems to make sense. I'll keep an eye on it while I'm still in warranty....

jeff

Good to hear I'm not the only one experiencing it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I get the low speed clunk to.

Anybody getting excess wind noise from the top corner of the driver door. Our 15 did not have any wind noise in this area, but the 17 is annoying. Since the Expy is so quiet otherwise, you can REALLY hear it at highway speed. You can see from the outside when the door is closed that it doesn't completely look flush.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the low speed clunk to.

Anybody getting excess wind noise from the top corner of the driver door. Our 15 did not have any wind noise in this area, but the 17 is annoying. Since the Expy is so quiet otherwise, you can REALLY hear it at highway speed. You can see from the outside when the door is closed that it doesn't completely look flush.
I notice the air noise. It appears to becoming from below ear level on my 17. The 17s have gaskets that run all the way around the top edge of the door and along the seam the only gap appears to be at the window sill about mid door. I think that's the only place it can be coming from. I've looked at the window seals and I can't see any other place. But I think you are right the 17 is so quiet that I'm hearing noise I never heard in the old 05.

NevadaGeo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would like to revive this thread to the OP. Since the '15-'17s have the 3.5 TT, they are a different beast from the earlier 3rd gens. It would be nice to have a section on this forum devoted to this production run. I know the '18s are entirely different and already have a separate section.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I looked at the pictures of the 18, I didn't like the look, looks like an Exploder. :) I didn't like the shifter knob instead of the shifter stick. I do like the upgraded electronics, but I decided to spring for the 2017 Limited EL - I would have taken a King Ranch or Platinum if one had been available. One thing I've found over the years is if you buy the last model year they are usually loaded and when they start with new generation, they don't offer everything right away so you have to wait a couple of years for other options to appear and by then of course, they are significantly more expensive.

I've only had it a little over a day but I love it. I miss the exhaust note of my 5.4 but the 3.5 is so quiet on the inside that I didn't realize it was running while I was playing with all of the new technology (compared to my old 05). It has everything in it that I wanted (301 Option Group). The only thing I really didn't like was the tires so I bought new Firestone Destination ATs with raised outline white letters. Now I have 4 tires to put on Craig's List. They have 49 miles on them. I had the Destination ATs on my 05 and they were very quiet going down the highway.

View attachment 19171 View attachment 19172 View attachment 19173

Andy you're correct but also 5-10 years down the road you'll be glad you didn't get the platinum cause remember the more gizmos you have the more things will break!

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
most of the new gizmos arent entirely new on the technological front. i wouldnt expect many things to break when 85% of the features are the same (revised) or already from another vehicle that had the feature 5-6 years ago.
the engine been offered on the f150 since 11, the adaptive cc n bliss been offered since 2010, the suspension has been the same since 15, powerfold seats since 03. only things to maybe be weary of is tran and 2nd row seat mechanisms

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy you're correct but also 5-10 years down the road you'll be glad you didn't get the platinum cause remember the more gizmos you have the more things will break!
Habbie, It was for that reason that I bought the 8 year 100,000 mile extended warranty. Before it goes out of warranty I'll get any and all things taken care of. :) Plus, after 10 years I might be in the market for a newer truck and by then the new style will have either changed or grown on me. :) Of course in 10 years I'll be 69, so I might need a handicap accessible vehicle. :)