How About a 2015 to present thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Ford Pass app is ever going to be able to let us remote start our Expeditions. I was told when I bought 17 EL that every car with Sync3 would have the capability and that there was an update in the app that was supposed to happen and make it available. Out of all the Models Ford has with Sync3 only the Edge and I think that hybrid thing they have are able to be remote started with the app. That's crazy to me

I have a 2012 CTS V and it can be remote started with the MyCadillac app.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Anybody know if the Ford Pass app is ever going to be able to let us remote start our Expeditions. I was told when I bought 17 EL that every car with Sync3 would have the capability and that there was an update in the app that was supposed to happen and make it available. Out of all the Models Ford has with Sync3 only the Edge and I think that hybrid thing they have are able to be remote started with the app. That's crazy to me

I have a 2012 CTS V and it can be remote started with the MyCadillac app.
None of the 17 Expeditions have the Modem. They have the Antenna, but no Modem. You have 2 options. Wait for the Smartlink device that is supposed to release this Summer, or have the Remote Access system installed. We did Remote Access on our 17, it works great!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
None of the 17 Expeditions have the Modem. They have the Antenna, but no Modem. You have 2 options. Wait for the Smartlink device that is supposed to release this Summer, or have the Remote Access system installed. We did Remote Access on our 17, it works great!
What is the Remote Access system? I have remote start already with my 17.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What is the Remote Access system? I have remote start already with my 17.

Remote Access is Fords older Cell App based remote Start/Lock/Unlock system. We had it installed in our 15 Expy that was totaled and had it also added to the 17 when we bought it. Basically the predecessor to the Ford Pass/SmartLink/Ford Connect system. It works great. Wife is a Nurse and her Ex is parked in a Parking lot pretty decent walk from her unit. She uses it all the time to start it and have it warm/cool by the time she gets there. It is great for her after a 12 hour shift!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Remote Access is Fords older Cell App based remote Start/Lock/Unlock system. We had it installed in our 15 Expy that was totaled and had it also added to the 17 when we bought it. Basically the predecessor to the Ford Pass/SmartLink/Ford Connect system. It works great. Wife is a Nurse and her Ex is parked in a Parking lot pretty decent walk from her unit. She uses it all the time to start it and have it warm/cool by the time she gets there. It is great for her after a 12 hour shift!
Okay thanks, that's good to know. I had installed an aftermarket remote start that had a range up to 1 mile. What I liked about it was it had two-way notification so after you pushed the start button, the remote would report back that the vehicle had indeed started. The range and the two feature are the things I miss most about my 17.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Okay thanks, that's good to know. I had installed an aftermarket remote start that had a range up to 1 mile. What I liked about it was it had two-way notification so after you pushed the start button, the remote would report back that the vehicle had indeed started. The range and the two feature are the things I miss most about my 17.
Remote Access would give you both of those! Plus for all intent ulimited range. Where your car and you have both Cell coverage, you are good!

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks LokiWolf,

What did it cost to install remote access and is there any monthly fees to use the phone app?
Our 15 was over $800, but needed the antenna. Your 17 already has it. It is the little black bubble over the passenger front. On our 17 it was a little over $500, cause of our Dealership VIP discount, and the antenna already being there. It is $79 a year. SmartStart, made by Viper is a 3rd party alternative, and is $99 a year, and about $650 installed. Had SmartStart in my 2006 F250, worked good, but the factory install is better in my opinion(Less warranty issues).