Might be the end of the road...damn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Red92lx

Reaction score
Hey guys,

So over the last few weeks I've noticed a slight drop in my 2003 expeditions (eddie bauer) brake fluid. Truck currently has 141K and runs good, but has it's share of problems. I will list them below at the end of this post. So I climbed under the truck and found the brake lines are rusted pretty bad in the middle of the truck, where they turn under the fuel tank. One is definitely leaking (or seeping), the other is not far behind. After doing some online research, this isn't a cheap job to have repaired and I don't have any experience repairing brake lines, so everything would be new to me here. I've seen people talk about $1000-$1900 repair bills to replace all lines and I can't justify those costs with the current problems the truck has.

I am asking for your opinions and what you would do in this case, I like the truck and it runs and shifts well. It's a total bummer to have to junk a truck at 141K. The truck overall still looks pretty sharp, even for it's age.

List of things currently broken or not right on truck- (some are minor I realize, but trying to give you a comprehensive listing)

- Rad support is totally rusted and supported with wood and straps
- abs modules failed, so abs and advanced trac is disabled
- front diff is leaking at pinion bearing. currently just refill every 3-4 months
- rocker panels completely rusted out
- oil leaking from valve cover or head gasket. stop leak every oil change seems to stop the leak.
- rear wiper fuse pulled due to motor draining battery.
- rear heat/ac/ motor recently started clicking but still works.
- pass. window is non-operative.
- rear tailgate is faking paint (just using touch up paint to repair)
- driver seat wont remember memory for 2nd setting.
- pass seat seat heater/ac is not working

I know the list is long, but I still enjoy driving this truck and it pains me to junk it. If I could limb it along cheaply, I would, but I have two kids and it needs to be safe enough for them to ride it. Is there a safe, cheap way to keep this old girl going, or is she done?

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't know where you are at but the same year with a bad engine down here in Atlanta is @$1500. Running they start at $3000 and go up. Pick up a good body and use yours as a donor.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have a 2003 Exp EB and I also had to have a brake line replaced and a section of another repaired. It was $235. I would take it to a local mechanic and have him give you a price. You have to have good breaks. You can live with the other things.

So over the last few weeks I've noticed a slight drop in my 2003 expeditions (eddie bauer) brake fluid. Truck currently has 141K and runs good, but has it's share of problems. I will list them below at the end of this post. So I climbed under the truck and found the brake lines are rusted pretty bad in the middle of the truck, where they turn under the fuel tank. One is definitely leaking (or seeping), the other is not far behind. After doing some online research, this isn't a cheap job to have repaired and I don't have any experience repairing brake lines, so everything would be new to me here. I've seen people talk about $1000-$1900 repair bills to replace all lines and I can't justify those costs with the current problems the truck has.

I am asking for your opinions and what you would do in this case, I like the truck and it runs and shifts well. It's a total bummer to have to junk a truck at 141K. The truck overall still looks pretty sharp, even for it's age.

List of things currently broken or not right on truck- (some are minor I realize, but trying to give you a comprehensive listing)

- front diff is leaking at pinion bearing. currently just refill every 3-4 months
- oil leaking from valve cover or head gasket. stop leak every oil change seems to stop the leak.

I know the list is long, but I still enjoy driving this truck and it pains me to junk it. If I could limb it along cheaply, I would, but I have two kids and it needs to be safe enough for them to ride it. Is there a safe, cheap way to keep this old girl going, or is she done?

Big Brian

Full Access Members
Reaction score
since you are asking opinions of what I would do, I would replace the brake lines myself.

parts aren't that expensive.

Probably looking at a master cylinder too at this point

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hey guys,

How did you support the radiator core with wood and straps? Mine is rusting and not totally loose I may have too do something in the future.

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
since you are asking opinions of what I would do, I would replace the brake lines myself.

parts aren't that expensive.

Probably looking at a master cylinder too at this point

Hey Big Brian, How did you post your answer without having the original message come up. Thanks

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey guys,

What did you decide to do with the truck?