Potential new '05 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oilers84

Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum here and thought maybe y'all could share some knowledge and experience.

I'm considering buying a 2005 Expedition (Limited version) with around 80,000 miles on it. I've gathered from browsing these forums that potential costly repairs could be caused by the spark plugs not having been changed, and transmissions not being properly maintained from the start.

Aside from plugs and tranny, are there any other neglect/maintenance issues that I should be aware of with these trucks? Little things like AC actuators and window switch lights don't bother me on a 13 year old truck and can be lived with, but motors and trannies can't be ignored.

Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to own one of these vehicles if everything checks out.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
The cam phaser & chain tensioners issue is the most notorious problem with the early 5.4 3v (expedition years 2005-2006), the spark plugs are a nightmare... just an absolute nightmare!

OP
OP
O

Oilers84

Reaction score
The cam phaser & chain tensioners issue is the most notorious problem with the early 5.4 3v (expedition years 2005-2006), the spark plugs are a nightmare... just an absolute nightmare!

Are the cam phaser & tensioner issues inevitable for all 5.4L's from this year? Or are only some affected?

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. New to the forum here and thought maybe y'all could share some knowledge and experience.

I'm considering buying a 2005 Expedition (Limited version) with around 80,000 miles on it. I've gathered from browsing these forums that potential costly repairs could be caused by the spark plugs not having been changed, and transmissions not being properly maintained from the start.

Aside from plugs and tranny, are there any other neglect/maintenance issues that I should be aware of with these trucks? Little things like AC actuators and window switch lights don't bother me on a 13 year old truck and can be lived with, but motors and trannies can't be ignored.

Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to own one of these vehicles if everything checks out.

80k mi shouldn't have any problems

06 Eddie

Reaction score
I just picked up an 06 EB in November 200K mile truck. Runs quiet, smooth, and strong. Anything can happen to a 12-13 year old vehicle regardless of miles. From experience I replaced my battery and alternator and found out I didn't need to as the power draw continued. Ended up being the rear window motor seized and was drawing power ever 25 seconds on the dot to try and finish it's cycle.

Second issue was the T fitting of my HVAC hoses that lead into the interior had a leak and dripped directly on to my passenger side ignition coils.

Otherwise like I said 200K and carfax does not show any replacement motors or trans and they sure do look original. We found an emissions failure on record and also saw a newer muffler so I'm guessing that was the issue. My air compressor seems to run a lot, not sure if that's normal or not but in general I think these vehicles come down to price. Mine is very clean inside and out and I paid $2500 private sale and put 1800 in and that was parts and mainly labor to chase down my electrical bug which was cured by pulling the rear window motor fuse. Side from that I put all new coils and a HVAC t hose and brakes/rotors and it runs like a champ.

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
welcome.

low miles IMHO.

mine is a Gen 1 and had problems w/i the first year right off the lot as it was being unloaded off the truck brand new, so anything is possible.

if you start with the major systems and pare down to the absolutes as far as preventative and routine maintenance, ( hopefully) you'll have years of trouble-free operation.

expect to outlay some $ aside from purchase. if private sale, perhaps some wiggle room on final $, and if a dealership, perhaps some pre-purchase/final handshake nice-to-haves like oil/trans & filter change; tire rotation, etc. take a hard look at the ### point inspection paperwork.

good luck.

Wegner44

Reaction score
If you have the 4.6L engine, this one is solid. With only 80,000 miles, you found a rare one. If it's clean and doesn't blow blue smoke out the exhaust it might be worth taking a chance on it.

jasonkelly

Reaction score
I say go for it. I bought a 2005 Exp King Ranch last August that had 2 broken plugs in it, #7 had blown out and #8 was broken flush in the head. I went in thinking I might swap a 5.4L with 90,000 miles from a 2008 F150. I took it to my ford dealer (which I never do) and they were going to charge me $200 to rethread #7 and remove #8. That would’ve been awesome! When they got into it they discovered bent valves on #7. Previous owner let something fall into the head. It turned out to be the swap. I had never swapped an engine before but really it wasn’t horrible. Now I’ve got a nice ride with 191,000 on the clock and less than 100,000 on the engine. Reason I went with the 08 was the plug issue was resolved in that 5.4. Changed motor mounts and oil pans (oil pans for the oil sensor on the 05 but not on the 08). Bolted right up and in. I’m still running the original transmission. All this to say, spend the money to get the plugs taken out right and the engine should run over 200K. These trucks drive and tow so good.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
If you have the 4.6L engine, this one is solid. With only 80,000 miles, you found a rare one. If it's clean and doesn't blow blue smoke out the exhaust it might be worth taking a chance on it.

The 2005 only has the 5.4L 3v engine, the 4.6L was last offered on an expedition in 2004