Price check - 2001 4x4 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you guys think? I'm thinking I should jump on it for $5k. Wanted opinions from the experts! And this is the same one I've been toying around with for a week now on this forum in one other post about "rust". I've got detailed plusses and minuses below.

2001 XLT 4X4 with 110k (verified mileage)
  • 3 owners + originally a lease (autocheck/carfax verfied this) - last owner had since 2004
  • Cloth interior (8 out of 10 condition) with a 6-disc changer)
  • Exterior paint (8 out of 10) with glossy paint
  • New tires Brigestone tires
  • Nice book of receipts of all work done in past five years
  • Runs and drives well. Good temp and oil pressure, braking and cornering. No suspension noise or bounciness. No warning lights, etc.

Positives:
  • New plugs and all new coils at 100k
  • No coolant leaks at 90 degree elbow (on #2 / #4)
  • No engine/tranny leaks or leaks from the oil filter lines/hoses
  • No engine ticking
  • No tire squat (newer ball joints)
  • Good sway bar bushings
  • Cold a/c - recently serviced (replaced a leaking 2-piece hose)
  • No apparent water leaks from the windshield
  • No rust on the underside of the doors, radiator support, quarters, wheel wells, rocker panels, etc.
  • No door ajar warning lights
  • Has the "E" code transmission
  • 4 wheel drive (high and low) engage like it should
  • No torque converter whine
  • New evaporator cannister under rear LH side of truck
  • 5w 20 valvoline high mileage oil changed every 3k miles
  • Differential, transmission and transfer case fluids changed as scheduled
  • New throttle sensor
  • All window regulators are good to go / windows all work

Negatives:
  • Noticed an exhaust manifold stud broken off / surface rust in this area
  • Original shocks
  • Odometer is flickering off and on
  • Yellowed headlamps
  • Surface rust on the undercarriage sheet metal and frame (driveshaft, differential, axle, trailing arms, suspension, etc. from being in Colorado for the first year of it's life)
  • K&N filter (negative?)
  • Slight oxidation on the rims

For what it's worth, I'm a total DIYer with no time due to kid sports. But I guarantee you I'll wire wheel all that surface rust off under the truck and reshoot it in the first month! Worth the money?

Attachments

• 5O35E15Jf3Gf3Kf3Jdc7nc2f6d161dfa91a70.jpg
    5O35E15Jf3Gf3Kf3Jdc7nc2f6d161dfa91a70.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 407
  • 5Nd5Ed5J13Ka3M53N3c7ndb0422071afb1266.jpg
    5Nd5Ed5J13Ka3M53N3c7ndb0422071afb1266.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAG0499.jpg
    IMAG0499.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMAG0472.jpg
    IMAG0472.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 238

catmandu

Reaction score
Sounds about right with the book of receipts and new tires.

If it were me, another pressed for time DIY'er, I'd not worry about surface rust as it should not get worse in the southwest. New headlamps are under $50 on eBay and take no more than 15 minutes to swap out. Put KYB shocks on mine pretty easily for a decent price, and they work! Manifold stud easy to deal with if you have access to a TIG welder (weld a washer to the stud, then a nut to the washer, back out the stud and replace). Skip the odometer until you have a second reason to take the dash apart (or the kids are in college).

JMHO

sgtowing

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would say go for it. The surface rust is not a big deal especially if your going to keep it in the southwest and all the other negatives are minor except for the exhaust stud.

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses, guys. I've got a quart of PPG gray-tinted epoxy primer that I'll use on the undercarriage once I wire brush all that rust off. Call me crazy...but it's the old Mustang restorer in me. I guess as long as the exhaust manifolds aren't leaking, that stud should be fine. I may get a wild hair and try to remove it.. don't want to make things worse. I will probably try sanding and buffing the headlamps to see if I can get the yellow out. I've done this successfully before but not with a Ford...should be a piece of cake. KYB shocks is not a bad idea. I'll probably do that when I have it up on jackstands when I'm getting ready to reshoot the undercarriage. Makes sense to do it then.

Is the speedo cluster that difficult to remove from the dash? The soldering part should be simple.

Thanks, guys. I'm going to go for it!

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did my speedo cluster last week- no problem at all- there is a trick to get the headlight switch out- be sure to find the vid on Youtube

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it helps, I just paid $4250 for a 99 with 127k miles. It's got the 4R100 and 3.73 gears, Tow package, rear seat etc. It's been in upstate NY the past 3 years so there is plenty of rust underneath. The body is so far rust free which wasn't the case with any of the other 6-8 expeditions I looked at. It's an Eddie Bauer, with really beat up front seats and was really dirty in general. It cleaned up fairly nice and only needs new front seats/covers and a few dash pieces to be like new inside.

I don't think I got a great deal and would rather have paid less but with no body rust I decided I would go $4k. The guy wouldn't budge from $4250 so I paid it. I've since dropped about $200 on it for all new fluids, wipers, fuel filter, pcv, trans kit, air filter and misc. It seems to have a valve cover leak so will need to do that and probably all new plugs and cops. At that point I hope to have a long term second vehicle out of it.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Negatives:

• i wouldnt worry about it
  • Noticed an exhaust manifold stud broken off / surface rust in this area

change them
  • Original shocks

bothers me
  • Odometer is flickering off and on

change out
  • Yellowed headlamps

not worried
  • Surface rust on the undercarriage sheet metal and frame (driveshaft, differential, axle, trailing arms, suspension, etc. from being in Colorado for the first year of it's life)

put one on
  • K&N filter (negative?)

no biggie...you can find them on ebay/craigslist or buy some new ones
  • Slight oxidation on the rims

i updated my comments in the quote

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks again, everyone. I'll check youtube for that headlight switch removal.

Good comparison on the your '99 -- thanks. Sounds like a nice truck for sure. I want to say this one has the 3.73s etc. Need to check the door tag on it to verify the trac loc/limited slip. You should check out all the seat cover suppliers on ebay... there are some pretty low cost options available for us. It would be good to know if someone on the board tried this (slip on covers - leatherette, for example).

Sounds like you're doing a lot of great preventative maintenance. Very cool...that is my thing, for sure. I may do some of the things you mentioned (some have been done recently by the owner) and also change the 02 sensors. Need to price them out... don't want to sink too much money into the truck if I don't need to.

And thanks for the point-by-point comments on the "negatives" I listed. All much appreciated. I'll see how she rides before changing out the shocks, for sure. But those are easy. Does the odometer bother you becasue of the difficulty of pulling the cluster or that it could mean something is awry with the expedition? His mileage all ads up according the autocheck report. I can do the headlight polish for free (have all the materials) - so I'll try that out before buying new ones. TRYING TO KEEP MY SPEND DOWN ON THIS BAD BOY! The engine compartment detail and undercarriage redo is the car restoration side of me. Check out this car I just finished and sold - going to Luxembourg. Check it out. 1973 Mustang Convertible

The expi has a K&N filter in the stock housing. Just wondering if you guys thought it was a negative? The wheels are 5 footers, for sure. Not bad. Just noticable when you get up on 'em.

Jay87LX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am 99% sure it has LS. The odo will be a breeze, I doubt there is anything foul going on- Just go ahead and buy it and start to enjoy-lol

OP
OP
71Rcode

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just bought it. Will have pix etc. in the coming days. Felt great on the 30 mile drive home!