Replaced shifter Tube now key will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't seem to notice any chip falling out? Like a sim chip? Some people stick the transponder chip near the cylinder so they could use regular keys.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just to give an update...i came home, checked the fuses and all are fine. I was able to see the piece that goes around the cylinder that i assume is the piece that talks to the key and all the wires are fine...nothing broken or lose, so if i did do something removing the key cylinder it was internal because nothing is in plain sight.....going back to the re programming of the key....after giving you all the symptoms, am i able to do something that i should not be able to do if the key had somehow lost the programming?....in other words....what are the signs that a key either lost the programing or it needs to be programmed?

I appreciate all the help.

MikeA

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good sign would be your theft light keeps flashing.

When I replaced a shift lever, I never disconnected the battery, key was in run position, removed key cylinder, made the repair, reinserted key cylinder, started the vehicle, tested shift lever, shut off, no problems.

Something happened during the repair, maybe key cylinder needs to come out then reinstall, which I am sure you have tried already.

Maybe disconnecting battery messed it up, not quit sure.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reason the theft light is flashing rapidly is the security number of the key doesn't match what is stored in the pcm memory. If there is an issue with the transponder reading the keys chip then the numbers don't match with the pcm since the transponder isn't sending the number. The pcm thinks there is a theft in progress and disables the engine.
Since you were working with the steering column something has changed there. Take another look for something out of place around the transponder antenna.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, so just to get this right, nothing points to the re programming of the key?...only ask because I was going to call a mobile locksmith to come to my house and do it. I really checked and double checked every step I took to take things apart. This repair is pretty easy job, remove the plastic pieces, removed key cylinder, disconnected battery, took 8 bolts out, drop the steering column, remove like 8 to 10 T30 bolts that hold the broken tube, put the new tube and started going backwards....never unplugged any wires, all I can think of is that I removed the cylinder with the key in it on the ON position while the battery was connected, once I pulled it, I never put it back in to put it in the OFF position, as soon as I took it out I disconnected the battery, so I am wondering if that may have caused this issue.

OP
OP
C

ctniners

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just tried...key turns and cranks but doesnt start.....I have no idea what could be stopping it from starting it.....

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire