Thinking of buying a 2003 Eddie Bauer, anything I should watch out for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gregjenny9502

Reaction score
The 2003 5.4 should not have the breaking spark plugs issue, it should be a 2V or it least it should be. Started using the 3V motor in 2004.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should find a trusted mechanic or well regarded shop to do a fairly intensive pre-purchase inspection for you. Expect to pay a couple hundred bucks, but you can recoup that plus whatever he/she finds when you return to negotiate the sale price a little stronger.

If mechanic list is too long, walk away. Walking is good for you.

gregjenny9502

Reaction score
We bought our 03 EB 4x4 about 5 years ago as a third vehicle to use in the winter in ice and snow only. Ended up being our favorite vehicle that we drive every where. You will have to spend money on it every now and then. We had a coolant tube rust out that we had to have replaced. To get to it the intake and water pump had to be removed which was more than I wanted to tackle. While the mechanic had it apart, put in spark plugs, boots, and new water pump on it. It was $1200 for parts and labor. We have also put 1 coil pack on it. It has 155k on it now and runs and drives like new. The only issue I think every 2003 suffers from is the Rusting radiator core support. Ours came from Florida - now in So IL. There was no rust on it anywhere or so i thought. When changing the oil I checked out the radiator support towards the bottom passenger side. I pushed my finger through it which I didn't expect. No other rust anywhere on the vehicle. This is not from road salt. Check for that. It is very expensive to fix when it gets really bad. I will be seeing what I can do to fix or at least reinforce mine this summer.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as the 2003 5.4 engine, they supposedly had more threads on the sparkplugs than the early 97-02 models. Fuse panel for fuel pump relay is an issue for that year. As far as price, with that many issues with electrical, no way! It could cost up to $1000 to fix them all or more. I agree with paying for a inspection. We have enough members here that don't have electrical issues and still find things that pop up. As far as dropping your weight. Try either the Atkins, or Keto diet. I've been on Atkins and have dropped 46 lbs in 10 months. Also join a gym, get a trainer, your too young to be that big. A young employee at my 24 hour fitness here in Pacifica, was over 400 pounds, he's on Keto, and has already dropped 30 pounds in two months. Let us know what Suv you buy. Stay away from anything over 140 k. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 had the 2 valve motors. I have a 2003 so I know! LOL.

Look at the cross member mounts under the radiator. It has a tendency to rust easy... The 5.4 is a good engine and the trans is good too.

Make sure the plugs have been done, and only let them use platinum or Iuridium plugs in it.

I would also say the price is high. I think it should be in the 3500 to 4500 range. If its 6k, try and knock it down. They now LOTS of money on used car sales!

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Aight, so I used to hang out on the explorer forum, because I currently have a 1998 explorer sport. However, I'm super fat, its exhaust isn't even attached anymore, and the timing chain is barely holding on.

So, I wanna get something new. There's a 2003 Eddie bauer explorer for $6450.00 right now near me. It's currently $600 off as a promotion! And if I turn in my loud trash heap, I can get another $600 off. I currently have $2000 saved up, and my family was going to loan me the rest (I'm 20 and I'm talking to what I hope becomes my second job, so I plan to pay that all back)

Now, in 2016, I found my 1998 explorer sport for sale, I overpaid for it, got slammed by the inspection and registry, and not only that, the engine needs $3,000 in repairs because of how (supposedly) labor intensive the repairs are on it. Add in that my 500 pound self doesn't exactly fit in it very well... I might be working on my weight but I'm also too damn tall for it.

Obviously, I wanna avoid this with the expedition. is there anything I need to watch out for? The mirror adjustment joystick, the seat adjustment switch, the rear wiper, (washer fluid works though) and one other minor thing are all broken, but everything else is in amazing condition, and the AC system is glorious compared to the broken one on mine (AC only works on Max, every other mode is heat, dumb explorers and their blend doors) however the salesman says he's gonna get them all checked on.

Searching up problems online brings up a few reports on the engine throwing its spark plugs out, is that as common or expensive to fix as my own car's timing chain? Also, what should I be looking for when I check it out? I'm going out tomorrow for another look, and I think I'll be test driving it...

I dunno, I guess I'm just asking for advice and so on! :)

Edit: If I remember right, it's got 11X,*** miles and it has the "Triton V8 4.5L" engine.

You email says it's an Explorer. Is that an error. The price is high even if it is in good shape. You should be able to get that down. Check the rocker panels and radiator core support. These areas are prone to rust. I have on 03 EB Expedition and it has been a great vehicle. Good Luck.

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You email says it's an Explorer. Is that an error. The price is high even if it is in good shape. You should be able to get that down. Check the rocker panels and radiator core support. These areas are prone to rust. I have on 03 EB Expedition and it has been a great vehicle. Good Luck.

AAAHHH I'm sorry! I'm so used to typing Explorer! It's an Expedition! I won't touch explorers from the late 90s or early 2000s!

3_-_P_20180512_120925.jpg

OP
OP
Prince_Polaris

Prince_Polaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2003 had the 2 valve motors. I have a 2003 so I know! LOL.

Look at the cross member mounts under the radiator. It has a tendency to rust easy... The 5.4 is a good engine and the trans is good too.

Make sure the plugs have been done, and only let them use platinum or Iuridium plugs in it.

I would also say the price is high. I think it should be in the 3500 to 4500 range. If its 6k, try and knock it down. They now LOTS of money on used car sales!

Well I talked to my grandparents and told them, so we might try to talk them down on it a little, but I partially feel like I'm cheating them because you know my 98 explorer sport? it needs the driver's door fixed, it needs the exhaust fixed, it needs the timing chain fixed, the CEL is on, the AC system is messed up, cruise control buttons broken, dash is loose, doors are rusting, and to fix all of those is gonna cost way more than it's worth, and yet they're paying me 600 for it... sure, it's not much, but if we were to factor in the cost of all the shit it needs fixed? oooh boy...

As far as the 2003 5.4 engine, they supposedly had more threads on the sparkplugs than the early 97-02 models. Fuse panel for fuel pump relay is an issue for that year. As far as price, with that many issues with electrical, no way! It could cost up to $1000 to fix them all or more. I agree with paying for a inspection. We have enough members here that don't have electrical issues and still find things that pop up. As far as dropping your weight. Try either the Atkins, or Keto diet. I've been on Atkins and have dropped 46 lbs in 10 months. Also join a gym, get a trainer, your too young to be that big. A young employee at my 24 hour fitness here in Pacifica, was over 400 pounds, he's on Keto, and has already dropped 30 pounds in two months. Let us know what Suv you buy. Stay away from anything over 140 k. Moose.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Yeh, I'm working on it, I got medicine and a therapist and I'm cooking at home, all kinds of things at once, I refuse to go above 500... also it's maryland inspected, is that good enough?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take a look a Kelly Blue Book for the value of the Expy. It's worth between 3-4k in good condition. The dealer is taking you for a ride. Honestly if you can't get that thing for under $4k I'd walk away from it. He's not giving you ANYTHING for your Explorer. He's building that little incentive into the cost of the Expedition you want. Expedition seats won't hold up very long for anyone over 250 lbs. and it's an extreme safety hazard when that seat back collapses and you're rolling down the highway. 70 mph and you're staring up at the ceiling wondering what happened. The seats are just not made very heavy duty. Really you should be looking at an F250. They have much stronger seats in them.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2003's 5.4L is 2 valve. I personally don't want to have anything to do with the 3 valve 5.4's. I don't know what year they started fixing some of the issues - if ever.

There's a sticky at the top of this forum on what to look for when buying a 2nd gen expedition. You might find that useful if you haven't already read it. Also, just peruse Craigslist in your area and look for other expy's local to you. Dealer is always going to want more. I test drove a 2003 eddy bauer, 4X4 for $3200 and ended up getting one a little more expensive for $4000, EB, 4WD, moon roof, leather, heated/cooled seats etc..both had around 150K miles.

BTW, taking off the tires / wheels to do work will not require an alignment or balancing LOL! Well, unless you're changing out the tie-rods or something else.