Thinking of getting a 2016-2017 expedition with V6 - how are they compared to the older V8 5.4 Liter models?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Hey All,

I just learned that a ticking noise in my 2006 Expedition Ltd is due to what the dealership is calling "Internal Piston Slap." They took off the valve covers and checked out the rockers and said those looked good to them. After they ruled out everything they could, they determined that the sound is caused by "internal failure" and they recommended a new engine. They can't replace a piston b/c that is apparently just as much (or more) work then swapping an engine out so ... new engine needed. The engine has only 157K miles on it so I'm a little bummed out. I thought these Tritan 5.4L engines were supposed to have a little more durability....

Anyway, I am looking at (new to me) used Expeditions. And I have noticed that they are all V6 3.5L engines now. And I am wondering how they compare to the V8 5.4L Tritan engines? Can they still tow a 24' boat or pop-up camper like my 2006 model? Do they have the same torque? Do they have the same (or better) power coming off a red light? Can any of you who have come off an older model with V8 engine and gotten the new V6 give me advice?

Thanks!

Groover

Reaction score
Limited and higher (or XLT with HD tow pkg) can tow 9,200lbs - I haven't seen another SUV that can tow more.

OP
OP
Z

zablalbaz

Reaction score
Thanks! That bit is confusing. I'm reading different things on different web sites. All the specs that I get with my google search are saying that the max towing weight for any of them is 6,600lbs. But Edmunds is saying a "properly equipped" model can do 9,200 lbs. Overall the specs seem to be good for the v6 engine. Seems like more Horsepower, more Torque than the V8? And if it can actually tow 9,000 lbs maybe I don't need to get hung up on this after all.

Just wish my 2006 could have held out longer... this is not a good time to be trying to buy a car. The dealers have all the power right now....

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.5 Ecoboost tows better than the 5.4 Triton V8 mainly because of its power band giving it nice amounts of torque at lower RPM’s. To many people’s surprise, it actually doesn’t have to work as hard pulling because of the low end/RPM torque. It’s not some high revving weed eater of a V6 that’s gotta be twisted to extreme to get the job done towing. It’s actually the opposite and feels like it pulls things with little or no effort. As far as durability goes it does have 2 turbos that are wear items that the V8 doesn’t have, but in towing situations it should theoretically last longer because of less RPM = less wear. My opinion on if it’s better than the 2 valve 06 5.4 V8 on durability is probably not, but I’d guess that the 3 valve engine is very similar with the Ecoboost as far as durability.

grumpyoleman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Having owned vehicles with both, I can say that you will not be disappointed with the 3.5 EB. The driving experience with these two engines are like night and day. I won't argue with anyone who has concerns about "more moving parts equals more things that can go wrong" but as for me, I am a convert to forced air induction. You definitely will appreciate the difference in HP and Torque.

Just remember, the EcoBoost gets decent gas milage when driving with a light foot. Start enjoying boost too much and you will notice at the filling station.

Plati

Reaction score

Last edited:

Charles M

Reaction score
I have a 2017 Expedition Limited with Tow Package and it pulls a fully loaded 21' Yamaha with fuel and gear (6000 lbs.) and 8 passengers in suv with ease. It is a joy to tow with it. Even on slick algea covered ramps no issues. It has the Eccoboost.

Groover

Reaction score
Thanks! That bit is confusing. I'm reading different things on different web sites. All the specs that I get with my google search are saying that the max towing weight for any of them is 6,600lbs. But Edmunds is saying a "properly equipped" model can do 9,200 lbs. Overall the specs seem to be good for the v6 engine. Seems like more Horsepower, more Torque than the V8? And if it can actually tow 9,000 lbs maybe I don't need to get hung up on this after all.

Just wish my 2006 could have held out longer... this is not a good time to be trying to buy a car. The dealers have all the power right now....

Properly equipped = HD tow package + weight distributing hitch + trailer brakes

Search for "2016 expedition brochure" or whatever year you are interested in and download (usually the first link) the actual brochure with specs from Ford, rather than relying on car shopping websites or dealer listings.

I presume that if an XLT has the HD tow package then it will have the brake controller on the dashboard like the other trim levels do as standard. This makes it easy to tell by looking at dealer pictures.

For any vehicle you are seriously interested in you can get the window sticker with all of the options for $7 from monroneylabels.com.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The Ecoboost v6 has more power at the expense of more moving parts, as others mentioned. Another benefit to the v6 is the tune-ability, if you're into that. I personally chose the v8 since I've had several turbocharged vehicles previously and I didn't want to deal with the potential issues and maintenance this time around. I wouldn't try to sway anyone in either direction, it's simply a tradeoff choice.

That being said, I recently towed a car on a heavy trailer for the first time (probably a little over 6k lbs total) several hundred miles and it performed the task effortlessly, I was very pleased. I have the 3.31 gears, and I'd think the 3.73 ratio would do even better.