Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
things that you need to consider when towing
the weight of equipment and passengers in the expy does reduce the weight of the trailer you can tow keep everything within the combined weight limits.

when using a WD hitch you want both the expy and trailer to be as level as possible

maintain distance between the big rigs when they pass you getting caught in the suction that they can cause when they pass you can be a heart pounding and white knuckle experience. This is where using the manual control on the brake controller can be a benefit just tap the brake controller to help reduce sway while still maintaining your speed.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there was a post a while back in which someone was considering upgrading to the heavy duty hitch he looked into after market and also consulted with a Ford dealer for OEM and for the dealer to install.
I believe he went with OEM as the cost wasn't all that much different and also let the dealer install as that gave him a warranty.

Last edited:
OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I couldn't agree more, right now it would be just me and my wife but I still understand staying in the limits.

To make sure there level is that so the WD hitch is able to work properly?

Oh yeah I've watched what they do, and in my recent experience of having the 5th wheel, got hit by a big gust of win and everything moved, and proved to me again why slow and steady is my motto when pulling.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DF5.4
On my 07 with the HD tow package it's rated at 9000lbs for my 4x4. 9200 for the 4x2. Without the HD tow package it is 6000 lbs for both 4x4 and 4x2.

You do need to have the frame mounted hitch even with the light duty tow package for those weights

DF5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hitch is standard on this generation of Expeditions. The easiest way to tell if you have the HD tow package is you will have the round 7 pin and flat 4 pin connectors. If you only have the flat 4 pin connector you have the standard tow package.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hitch is standard on this generation of Expeditions. The easiest way to tell if you have the HD tow package is you will have the round 7 pin and flat 4 pin connectors. If you only have the flat 4 pin connector you have the standard tow package.

Thanks for that information
I know on the 1st gen's that the bumper also has the hole for a ball mount but the bumper is rated for a hitch weight of 400 lbs and a max trailer load of 4000 lbs

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So the easiest way to find out to see if I have the HD package will be if on my trailer connection is 7 pin right?

So when upgrading if I need to upgrade from what I've read, in an HD package, I'll get different gears (3.73) different hitch and connection and the capability of plugging up a brake controller, is this correct?

If I use the light duty it restricts me from pulling bigger trailers safely correct?

I'm just trying to understand everything and make sure I have the knowledge that I am needing that is all.

OP
OP
XLTExpoGuy2010

XLTExpoGuy2010

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sure will my wife has it at work but when she gets home I'll check it. Where is the VIN located as well? I know most are on the lower driver side of the window was just wondering if that's where it was.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
there should be a sticker on the door or the door pillar that will give you information about the expy.
Label is
located on the structure (B-Pillar)
by the trailing edge of the driver’s
door or the edge of the driver’s door

Not sure about Texas but here in PA the vin number is on the registration card