Towing, tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd personally leave the stock radiator in there, especially considering your planning a newer trailer that is as light as or lighter than your current 6200, which you said yourself has been trouble-free towing.

I've not removed an Expedition radiator, but 5 hours seems like worst case scenario. There really is a lot of room in the engine bay to work in, its not like a small subcompact front-wheel-drive car. Even with minimal amounts of DIY wrenching experience, I think you can tackle this job yourself, if you really feel its needed, which I don't.

If you were pulling mountains all summer with a 7K+ trailer, I'd probably recommend the "upgrade". Nothing wrong with your better safe than sorry paranoia, other than it can be expensive overkill.

Rock auto for example lists a variety of companies who stock these:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2011,expedition,5.4l+v8,3015237,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Your local NAPA might be a good place to try as well.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
I'd personally leave the stock radiator in there, especially considering your planning a newer trailer that is as light as or lighter than your current 6200, which you said yourself has been trouble-free towing.

I've not removed an Expedition radiator, but 5 hours seems like worst case scenario. There really is a lot of room in the engine bay to work in, its not like a small subcompact front-wheel-drive car. Even with minimal amounts of DIY wrenching experience, I think you can tackle this job yourself, if you really feel its needed, which I don't.

If you were pulling mountains all summer with a 7K+ trailer, I'd probably recommend the "upgrade". Nothing wrong with your better safe than sorry paranoia, other than it can be expensive overkill.

Rock auto for example lists a variety of companies who stock these:
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2011,expedition,5.4l+v8,3015237,cooling+system,radiator,2172

Your local NAPA might be a good place to try as well.

Well....we are towing into the West this summer! It'll be our longest trip thus far. 2-3 weeks,
Badlands, Yellowstone, etc.
Not to mention, the trailer we're looking at is really only a couple hundred pounds lighter.

Does that change your mind at all?

The link you provided, are all of those "heavy duty"?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't change my mind. Your transmission cooler upgrade is the only thing I would have done myself.

The link provided has various mfgs offerings in both standard and heavy duty. The only brand I'd consider is Motorcraft, which Rock Auto shows as RAD47. Its $153 + shipping, which for my ZIP code is only $8.99.

It is a bit ironic that the HD is less money than the standard. Must be a supply/demand thing.
Best that I can tell is the capacity is the same between heavy and standard duty. The only differences in coolant quantity that I could find was presence or absence of rear HVAC. 23.2 qts verses 20.6. So all you are gaining is a row. Not worth it to me.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Doesn't change my mind. Your transmission cooler upgrade is the only thing I would have done myself.

The link provided has various mfgs offerings in both standard and heavy duty. The only brand I'd consider is Motorcraft, which Rock Auto shows as RAD47. Its $153 + shipping, which for my ZIP code is only $8.99.

It is a bit ironic that the HD is less money than the standard. Must be a supply/demand thing.
Best that I can tell is the capacity is the same between heavy and standard duty. The only differences in coolant quantity that I could find was presence or absence of rear HVAC. 23.2 qts verses 20.6. So all you are gaining is a row. Not worth it to me.

I'm being asked in a different forum if the difference would be an extra horizontal row or a vertical row?

From his description I'd guess horizontal? If vertical he claims it could double the cooling effect.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Another followup question. Local shop said they could put one in for me. Do you know, would a 1 3/8'' core be "heavy duty" when compared to a 1"?

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. The larger core size is due to an additional row, which are horizontal. It won't double the cooling effect but would certainly add to it, thus Ford's term "Super Cooling". There is a science behind it, something along the lines of the square inches of radiator surface area should be equal to the engines cubic inch displacement.

So in the 5.4L 330CI, the face of the rad should be equal to or greater than 330 square inches, or 100%. There is then a formula considering 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th rows. If I recall, 2nd row is 70% of cooling effect, 3rd is less, and so on.

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
Yes. The larger core size is due to an additional row, which are horizontal. It won't double the cooling effect but would certainly add to it, thus Ford's term "Super Cooling". There is a science behind it, something along the lines of the square inches of radiator surface area should be equal to the engines cubic inch displacement.

So in the 5.4L 330CI, the face of the rad should be equal to or greater than 330 square inches, or 100%. There is then a formula considering 2nd, 3rd, and even 4th rows. If I recall, 2nd row is 70% of cooling effect, 3rd is less, and so on.

Ok, thanks. The last shop I called quoted a much lower total for labor. Based on that price and all the forum help I think I'll go ahead with it....just to be safe.

Chewtoy

Reaction score
5 hrs to install may be flat rate, but it's actually an easy install if you are mechanically inclined. Biggest issue is the bottom radiator hose with Ford's odd twist connector. Also be careful not to cross thread the transmission cooler lines. I did 3 in my old Expy before we discovered the plastic intake manifold was cracked na was pressurizing the cooling system :(

OP
OP
A

acritzer

Reaction score
I have an update, wondering if anyone can confirm?

After lots of communication with various shops and a couple guys that called on some Ford techs. I've been told that the 2011 Expedition EL came standard with the larger radiator option. The tow package for that year and vehicle did not include a different radiator.

One guy told me to measure the fins in a 1'' section. If there were 13 it's the smaller radiator, if it's 19 it's the larger one. Using this description I checked and indeed found 19.

Anyone know if any of this is legit?

inmanlanier

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much are you planning on towing and how often? Generally factory ratings have some conservatism in them. If you are towing at or near the rating infrequently, I would not worry about extra cooling unless you've actually tried it out and seen where you cannot maintain the normal temperature. I have your same vehicle (1 year newer) - I have not done any mods and do not have the tow package. I did retrofit the 7 pin and have a Class III hitch. I tow a boat that ranges in weight from 5500# to perhaps 7500# when fully loaded (rarely towed in that configuration). Almost all trips are local at slow speeds so that moderates the load per se. I only go distance once or twice a year where I travel 225 miles to the Fl. Keys. In that configuration where both the boat and trailer are near the tow package capacity (lower actually), I simply go at slower speeds, monitor everything closely and leave plenty of room to brake (I have trailer brakes).

I'm sure there are folks out on the forum that will say I'm a mad man, however the ratings are generally listed for continuous load at those max conditions, max outside temperature, etc. etc. That's what we engineers do when we design things.

I've been doing this for 4 years now with no issues (not necessarily enough data for the tranny temps), however my car never heats up above the normal temp. Trust me - the temps to the Keys in July are up there!