Triton V8 or Ecoboost V6?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5x10

Reaction score
Yea I suppose. Then again so is the triton. When I need it to pull it does it without hesitation and when I need it to go it goes. Both suffice, I was more getting at what Ford needs to do to improve mpg because they are losing the battle to hulk V8s with a V6, and there is certainly no market for an full size SUV with a boosted 4 cylinder. A lot of people go Tahoe already because they fear the six cylinder (without understanding new turbo engines are much better than old ones). If I do another SUV after this I would consider a suburban but I haven't been a fan of their tranny. Forced induction has limits you can only go so far and Ford is pledging to make no V8s. GM has sky as their limit with their program with which they can achieve better economy and get all the power you want.
The triton doesn't have the same band as the ecoboost
EB is much lower rpm for peak torque, completely different feel to the ride

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm surprised that no one lined up the dyno's from a 3rd party source....take a peek what comparing two dyno's from K&N filter show:

You will see that the 3.5 makes far more HP & more Torque than the 5.4 and it makes the same HP at 3,400rpm (roughly 250 HP) as the 5.4 peaks at, at approx 4,600RPM. So the 3.5 equals the PEAK power of the 5.4 at over a thousand rpm lower.

Then you will see that the 3.5 equals the peak torque of the 5.4 at only 2,500rpm compared to the 5.4's torque peak coming at 4,500 rpm. So the 3.5 is producing the same torque at over TWO THOUSAND RPM less!

Pretty convincing that all the talk about "it runs hotter, spins at higher rpm so it won't last" is just wrong. The 3.5 will equal the 5.4 in every way that matters at much lower RPM's than the 5.4 and of course will provide a huge reserve of power over and above what the 5.4 produces at it's PEAK power!

No sense arguing about it....the 3.5 is a far superior engine as far as the power and torque it produces.

3.5 vs 5.4 Ford engine dyno's.jpg

If you don't like the 3.5, even if it's just because it "makes you nervous" then that's fine so own it and be proud of your position but don't be mislead by hype and pure BS when the facts are available for anyone with a brain to find. Research before you make your decisions, don't ever rely on what some guy said....

My opinion is based on owning two 5.4 expys and well over 300K miles for the past 15 years and I bought my 3rd ( '17) with the 3.5 last November. The 5.4 is noted for leaking headgaskets, oil leaks from left side rear head, inability of Ford to keep the sunroof dry on the passenger side of the glass<LOL> and a host of other issues but it was also a strong, faithful truck(s) for many years. So I've got no axe to grind either way....I like the 5.4 but the 3.5 is just plain better to me, by a wide margin.

jeff

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll never take away from the 3.5s performance or it's low end peak torque. It's a good motor but I like my V8. Here are some fun images. That poor 3.7 V6 never stood a chance lol.

IMG_6538.JPG IMG_6536.JPG

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that really makes the 3.5 look great since the only engine to get close has close to DOUBLE the displacement!

Everyone is different and that's fine....I have seen people posting on this forum looking for a 2.7 ecoboost in the new Expeditions....that's right, they WANTED the 2.7 because they are after mileage. The manufacturers are just trying to always gauge where the MOST interest is.

I admit that I do not pay for gas so mileage isn't very important to me but I have assigned one the of the left side displays to track my mileage since the night I drove off the dealers lot and to date, it's up to 17.8mpg average for the 18,600miles I've owned it. I assigned another of the mileage tracking options to show tank by tank and most tanks now are averaging in the mid to high 18's so it's still moving up from the first tanks that were in the 17's.

I was an old "you can't beat a v8 no matter how you flog it" guy and I build high performance bike engines for 30+ years so I know what heat and rpm do to an engine just like I know what solid steel vs alum does.....but I quickly realized after looking at how the 3.5 is actually built and the low stress levels of the engine timing and valve lift & overlap that the only parts that might need replacing at 200K are a couple of $600 turbos hanging from the sides of the exh manifolds....no too difficult or expensive for me to replace so we'll see where we are in a few years......

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I heard the 6.2 boss was just refreshed again for 2017 to get even more torque I wonder what it is now, that engine is an absolute beast. (Just looked it up I guess they improved the band so you get all the torque at lower rpm than before).I hope the ecos lasts too! Many fords in my family and I have to tell you the 5.4 3v have been good and last a long time. You have absolutely no problem getting 200k plus out of these engines.

Last edited:

Rigpig

Reaction score
How about a TT 6.2L with variable displacement in the Expy? I'd go talk to the bank about a new one, in that case. :)

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A guy I work with just bought himself a 250 Super Duty with the 6.2 a few weeks ago and that engine is SMOOOOTH! You can barely even hear it running. Ford in their infinate wisdom as with the 5.4, has jammed a third of the engine under the dash so getting to anything in the rear is going to require removal of the body but for the 35K or so that he spent, it's a nice truck...a HUGE nice truck. Surprisingly, it has very little of the tech that the Expy has. One thing he does have is a little birds-eye truck with tire pressures readout as ea corner....wish mine had that!

jeff

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The super duties don't start getting up with technology till you spring for lariat/KR/Platinum. My fathers lariat has the led display which tells you everything going with the truck and I mean everything. It has navigation phone backup camera sync 3 I think it is. I love the rear locking diff too it comes in handy. And the best part is the 6.2 or 6.7 they are both great. That 6.2 boss doesn't even feel a 10,000 pound load behind it it's amazing. I went with the guy who owns our marina with a 35' 13,500 pound boat plus trailer behind it in his gas F350 and it pulled it no problem didn't even have to rev going up steep inclines.

Last edited:

ChrisOIFdoc

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just added a F150 4x4 to our household and it has the Ecoboost 3.5 with 10 speed. I do think 10 speeds is to many but the fuel economy is amazing for a vehicle with 470 pounds of torque. To date my overall mpg is 21.9, 75% highway, 25% city.
I am a old school guy who loved his V8's but at this point they are history to me.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!AAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!! YOU SHOULD'VE GOT A V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...but I do like the power of the V6 in my CTS......BUT NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!AAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!YOU SHOULD'VE GOT A V8!!!!!!!!!!!!!.......but wait...I really really like the V6 in the CTS......BUT NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!........well...you get the rest