What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Added a Roush air filter to my Roush-modified Expedition.
They are practically giving these away, so I bought several.
$7.21 shipped. Current Ebay item number is 281757269156

fsdfsdfsdfsdf_zpsvurjd1ma.jpg

Appear to be of good quality, well constructed, don't let crazy low price deter you.
Yellowish orange media is very similar to NAPA Gold filter.

Jeckler

Reaction score
had a weird issue last night. The truck had been driving fine all day, but when I wanted to go home from work, it wouldn't crank. Got just the dreaded click you get when the battery is down. After the 3rd unsuccessful attempt I went in to find a colleague that would boost me.
While that guy went to bring his car over, I decided to give the truck another try and it started just fine on its own. So it wasn't the battery. But when it started, I noticed that the onboard computer was reset, the trip counter, mileage gauge were all at zero. I also remembered that when I was trying to start it before, the driver seat would not auto-adjust when I entered/removed the key. Could this have been a computer glitch? Never seen this before. Hope my computer isn't on its way out. i heard they're expensive as hell.

Remove and clean the battery and cables. I use baking soda and water to clean along with a brass brush. Try not to get too much inside if your battery isn't sealed. Rinse with plenty of plain water.
After reinstalling the cables, coat them with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).
A buddy's '03 EB usd to do this too. He hasn't had a problem since cleaning.
I used to have a '95 Taurus that did it too.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remove and clean the battery and cables. I use baking soda and water to clean along with a brass brush. Try not to get too much inside if your battery isn't sealed. Rinse with plenty of plain water.
After reinstalling the cables, coat them with petroleum jelly (Vaseline).
A buddy's '03 EB usd to do this too. He hasn't had a problem since cleaning.
I used to have a '95 Taurus that did it too.
Thanks! Actually, after the truck refused to crank a few more times I noticed that the red PATS light in the middle of the dashboard was constantly on, so I figured that the immobilizer was not recognizing my key properly and was preventing the starter from turning.
So I disconnected the battery for a few minutes to reset everything, then switched to my other key (which is barely used) and the problem never reoccured (at least not in the 7 days since I did this :) )
I also removed the rubber boot around the ignition cylinder and made sure that the PATS antenna was properly seated and plugged in.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a few days after having a local shop replace my lower control arms and do the alignment I started hearing a clunk every time I turned the wheels. So i looked under the truck today and my jaw dropped. Check out the bolt that holds the arm to the frame on the drivers side. It moves as I turn the wheels. These ****ers didn't tighten it!!!!
f8808fb0af1f4d8ca3cb2338c4abc3ef.jpg

b03d2705cb1e87133bfed9bbda0d4112.jpg

I could tighten it myself, but I imagine that the alignment is shot, so I'll take it back to the shop and tell them to fix it. I did a quick visual inspection and didn't see any other damage resulting from this (like the frame or the arm bushing being mangled). Anything else I should look for? (Besides a better mechanic, lol)

Last edited:

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So a few days after having a local shop replace my lower control arms and do the alignment I started hearing a clunk every time I turned the wheels. So i looked under the truck today and my jaw dropped. Check out the bolt that holds the arm to the frame on the drivers side. It moves as I turn the wheels. These ****ers didn't tighten it!!!!

I had a similar experience with a power steering box in my old Explorer back in college wherein someone made a seriously stupid mistake. We had a local shop that charged $10/hr (yes, you read that right). When I brought in the part and the truck, the guy asked me if I had instructions on how to install it. :lol: When I said no, he said they'd figure it out. It worried me, but I was in college and poor as dirt so I handed him the keys anyway. Ultimately, they did install it properly, but they forgot to cap off the power steering fluid and the thing half emptied within several miles. I went back and Isaac and Malachai (not their real names) quickly realized their mistake and corrected it.

Anyway, hope they sort you out without any problems.

mr49erguy

Reaction score
While I did not do any work on my Expy today, I did use it for one of the reasons I purchased it. I dropped off a load of old kids bikes an old recliner and an old car tire at the landfill. I learned that my truck weighs 2.84 tons unloaded with about a 1/4 tank of fuel.

I also wrote up a 20 point list of things I'm going to work on with a buddy over the next year. Things like replacing the front heater core to removing the intake manifold to replace the gasket and perhaps even replacing the exhaust manifolds and exhaust system.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Didn't do this TO the Expy, but FOR the Expy: redneck 4" jack extension from a piece of steel pipe :)
Tested it pretty aggressively and it's rock solid.

I can finally get rid of the piece of wood I had to use since I installed the lift kit.

6dfdc27615d463f0159ca4adf26e0f07.jpg

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I removed my cigarette lighter socket and replaced it with a dual 2.1A USB socket.

Ford's proprietary cigarette lighter connector (Part #WPT682). Upon discovering that this connector is $40, I opted to re-use it rather than cut it off.

picture.php

I made these wire connectors in order to connect my new USB socket to the existing Ford connector. Initially, the tab connector was too large. As it was a Sunday and my dash was already apart, rather than wait a day to get a smaller connector, I used what I had and sanded the width down with a Dremel. In the end, it was a perfect fit.

picture.php

Everything is connected and ready to go.

picture.php

The USB socket is installed and everything is zipped back up. I opted not to use the cover it came with as my phone plug essentially lives in the dash. I'll put an individual cover on the unused socket later.

picture.php

Odimus

Reaction score
changed the final spark plug...what a pain to get to the back plug/passenger side...so all 8 changed and the extraction tool is still a virgin :D