What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Today I removed some dash trim panels so I could run the wiring for some switches I will be installing soon. While I had the panel off, I noticed the remote start learn button staring me in the face. I had wanted to reprogram the run time from 10 to 15 minutes for months, but had such a hard time contorting myself to reach the button last time I programmed something that I had been putting it off. With the panel off, it literally took about a minute.

* Well I took a 2-hour break for dinner and TV and then finished the wiring job. I wired my Rigid SR-Q reverse lights to the factory wiring so the lights come on automatically when I am in reverse. Then I ran the wire behind the dash and stuck the switch behind the trim panel where the adjustable pedal switch is located. When I get time, I am going to cut into that panel and install a 3 or 4 gang Carlson switch panel.

Last edited:

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the defroster working again and ordered entire new rear wiper assembly/motor/arm/blade for my 06

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steelnewfie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dropped it off at the garage again. Problems since plug change (however none broke at 143,000Mi first swap). Intermittent misfires now and I'm betting one of the plugs has backed out. See what happens!

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since I'm waiting to re-install my transmission I decided to gut my interior to coat the floor pan, fender wells and firewall with some bed liner. I was pleasantly surprised to still find zero rust on this truck, all hardware came out way easier than expected(truck is 97 with almost 300,000miles). Waiting for floor pan to dry, which may take a week or so since it is getting cooler out. Once floor is dried I'm going to dynamat the roof to cut down on the "hollow" sound. Goal is to try and eliminate any rattles and "hollow" sounding panels along with sealing everything up. I'm still contemplating if I want to keep the jute mat under the carpet or toss it for some weight savings or toss the carpet all together....

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^I'd keep the carpet. Even with the Dynamat, the carpet and jute mat do a lot for sound deadening.

As for me, stopped by the local spray'n'wash and washed off the oil that I got slung into the wheel wells. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that the oil came from the road. The rear wheel well had as much oil in it as the front. If it was a leak on my truck (from the front), the rear wouldn't get the coating quite like it did. I will be driving across town and back tonight so I'll see if there's anymore sign.

DUNE RCR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I might keep the carpet/get new carpet(as this carpet is worn) but I might drop the jute in the interest of shaving some of the weight. I just posted a new post for ideas on weight reduction and keeping it a daily driver for family. Honestly not terribly worried about noise, just rattles and larger panels that are untreated kind of bug the crap out of me.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
^I'd keep the carpet. Even with the Dynamat, the carpet and jute mat do a lot for sound deadening.

I agree. dynomat and the like are designed to dampen vibration not block sound. While it will help, jute does a better job at actually blocking sound waves. They sell mass loaded vinyl that is designed to block sound but it is relatively heavy and somewhat expensive to do the whole truck.

And if you are concerned about weight you don't need to fully cover a panel to stop the hollow sound, typically 25% or so will do. Focus on larger flat places like you mentioned or just tap on it with a knuckle and you should be able to hear what will "ring" and what "thuds". Double coverage on a small area of a larger panel will sometimes give better results than just covering everything you can. Done right it doesn't add a ton of weight and you can hear the difference in the sound when closing a door or rain on the roof.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I took it for a tire rotation today. The same guy who charged my wife $10 charged me $15. Pfft.