What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well got 5 coats of Bedliner on the bumper so I guess that's plenty to help keep it tough and rugged for all the abuse it's gonna see.
Tomorrow going to go do bottle exchange at Air Gas Supply for the Welder and touch..
Then should be covered for the install this weekend

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Makes me miss my Forester.

Very plain looking 2004 Forester XT (kind of a unicorn with factory installed EJ257, 4.44 geared 5 speed trans/diff, Obsidian black pearl paint). Stock it was quick. Very quiet Borla Hush 3” exhaust, big polished turbo and supporting upgrades (hand made and polished headers and up-pipe, injectors, matched and polished intake blah blah blah), properly tuned (355awhp), Japanese manufactured ‘Pink’ suspension, Legacy GT brakes (almost same size as track Brembos at 1/10th the price). It literally was the quintessential lesbian-grocery-getter (no offense to lesbians) and was such a sleeper. 0-60 hurt your feelings (could spin all 4 wheels into 3rd gear) but not as bad as the fuel economy at 65 mph (3,100 rpm in 5th gear). The wife loved driving it; all these clowns would try to act like a bad-ass at stoplights in their Rustangs and Craparos. She would EMBARASS them. Hahaha

We were leaving Lowe’s Home Improvement one day towing the trailer with it, had 18 bags of stone and 12 stepping stones loaded on the trailer (around 1,000lbs I think). This ****** and his gf in a “tuner” VW were literally pointing at us and laughing. So, when we pulled up to the light I goaded him into laying on the VW. He takes off like a fart from a weedwacker from the light; I started in 2nd gear, chased him down and passed him by 5-6 car lengths before I hit 60mph. When he caught up I looked over and waved at him, his gf wouldn’t even look at us.

That is AWESOME!

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah that was the plan originally but now since I've had it I'm thinking that it's probably not necessary. This thing is very strong and at any point I feel that I need to, then it wouldn't be hard to add it at a later time.
Because there is plenty of room behind the bumper if wanted to add additional support.
I'm gonna probably go head and pull the front clip off so
That I got full access to the horns so that I can make some cardboard template of the horns on all 4 sides to cut out 1/4" plate and weld it up to box it in.
And the plates that WAM includes for the mounting will give u no adjustment at all.
So thinking of doing something different so that there is some kind of adjustment.
But yeah I'm glad that I'm getting this done, just haven't had the time bc of work mostly and now that I got 9 days off I wanna get it on ..

Yea, that's the one thing I wish I would have done different... make it adjustable. I'm going to pull it off over the break and try enlarging the mounting holes a tad, see if I can get a little movement.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing! That's AWESOME. Did you do all the engine mods yourself? I've got a '02 Forester for my daily driver... at least until one of the kids get their license then I'll hand it off to them.

I’m a cheap a$$, so yes, every modification and bit of work was done by me. I traded some gun parts to a custom tuner to get the tune done. Had the alignment done at a local place to STi specs. I had an ‘02, an ‘01 and a ‘99. Bought the ‘02 with 74k on it for $2k, drove it to 246k before clutch finally gave up. Replaced the clutch and the head gasket went. Bought the ‘01 for $400, swapped the entire driveline (engine, trans with 3.71 gearing vs the original 4.11, driveshafts, diff) into the ‘02 then traded the ‘01 carcass for more parts and an EJ257 block with new rods and pistons (still sitting in the garage). I had the N/A heads shaved a touch for a little more compression, matched them to the intake, cleaned up the intake, slapped on a cheapo e-bay header and an STi cat back (traded some parts for the exhaust). Car really loved the 2 1/4” STi exhaust, gave it a little rumble, too. Put a set of Legacy GT brakes on that poor little N/A Forester (which later got swapped to the XT, reinforced the sway bar mounts and slapped on some solid steel sway bars I got on trade. Buddy gave me an old set of SRT-4 Neon wheels which bolted right on and actually looked really good. Wasn’t a race car but it handled well, stopped on a dime and was easy on gas. Never did figure out why the cruise control didn’t work. Sold it to our HVAC guy for $1500, some free a/c work at the house and some spare turbo Subie parts he had. Car was at 266k on body and 65k on swapped in motor. The ‘99 was a quick flip; needed head gaskets and timing belt. Bought it for $250, sold it for $1700 after putting about $450 into it.

When I sold the XT (i can no longer drive stick) I bought my Expy.

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing! That's AWESOME. Did you do all the engine mods yourself? I've got a '02 Forester for my daily driver... at least until one of the kids get their license then I'll hand it off to them.

Oh yeah, those were 2015 BRZ wheels I traded a guy for. He wanted the stock WRX wheels the XT came with. So my WRX wheels with 1/2 tread tires for brand new, no miles BRZ take-offs with brand new tires and $200. He worked at a Subie dealership, so I’m pretty sure they were snagged off a new car but can’t prove it.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea, that's the one thing I wish I would have done different... make it adjustable. I'm going to pull it off over the break and try enlarging the mounting holes a tad, see if I can get a little movement.
Yeah it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something. I'm going to box in 4 sided wrap with 1/4 plate the horns back far as I can towards the belly.
Then probably do some box tubing about 8" long and cut slots long ways for adjustment .
But till I pull my front clip to mate up the bumper is really when I can get a better idea of making the mounts.
But I got plenty of miscellaneous scrap metal to use to try n Fab up something.
But I'm gonna weld some 2x2 1/4" box tubing right behind where the mounts stop on the horns across left to right to tie the frame horns in for added strength.
But I'm also currently trying to get solid axles bc I want to start the SAS swap.
But not having much luck finding the axles unless I want to drop 3 or 4,000 for a complete running Ford truck..grrr
Which I'm not going to do jus to gut the suspension.
Which I hate doing this but I'm gonna have the ring n pinion gears swapped out to 4.56.
So that I don't kill my transmission with these 35's.
But I still drive the Expedition as a daily driver so I'm gonna have to keep driving it until I get the axles and leaf springs to start the conversion.
Or like my brother said buy a 80 model Chevy Blazer that has the solid axles and put my body on the Chevy frame but that kinda takes away of what I'm going to try and accomplish .

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well got the front lower clip off and ready to put on the bumper Friday [emoji2][emoji2]3f945d243536982aea7d39a57caee232.jpg03cf121e75c332346912e57ea4110ff0.jpg
f34b71af744b7eaa63e1bf803bfc3ca0.jpg
42ea3cdf43f8b229356bda3a0c7e747c.jpg
49a754da8cc312c26e9dc5657be8f5e2.jpg
9eac485ef88b3747951d12ad7b03ee75.jpg
ce3d29e1d9ec86c657b82da448aa34e9.jpg