What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah she's a daddy's girl everything I do she always wants to help.
From turning wrenches to slaughtering rabbits and chickens.
She is always there to help [emoji16]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
That's nice. Mine never wanted to do anything with me. Both girls were into girlie things. :) At least my son and I are in Freemasons together.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
LoL scoot, nice to see your little one following in your foot steps.

I fixed my brake lines & replaced the oil pan gasket yesterday, had to get a surgery done today so after I got home I took the expy for a drive (first time in months) filled it up with gas, aired up the tires and got a detail job done to it. It's road worthy again and I'm glad for that cause I miss driving it.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Y'all take your kids to slaughter rabbits and join occult organizations???

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah it shouldn't be too hard to come up with something. I'm going to box in 4 sided wrap with 1/4 plate the horns back far as I can towards the belly.
Then probably do some box tubing about 8" long and cut slots long ways for adjustment .
But till I pull my front clip to mate up the bumper is really when I can get a better idea of making the mounts.
But I got plenty of miscellaneous scrap metal to use to try n Fab up something.
But I'm gonna weld some 2x2 1/4" box tubing right behind where the mounts stop on the horns across left to right to tie the frame horns in for added strength.
But I'm also currently trying to get solid axles bc I want to start the SAS swap.
But not having much luck finding the axles unless I want to drop 3 or 4,000 for a complete running Ford truck..grrr
Which I'm not going to do jus to gut the suspension.
Which I hate doing this but I'm gonna have the ring n pinion gears swapped out to 4.56.
So that I don't kill my transmission with these 35's.
But I still drive the Expedition as a daily driver so I'm gonna have to keep driving it until I get the axles and leaf springs to start the conversion.
Or like my brother said buy a 80 model Chevy Blazer that has the solid axles and put my body on the Chevy frame but that kinda takes away of what I'm going to try and accomplish .

Axles from a CUCV is what you seek:
Dana 60 front
Corporate 14 bolt rear

Both came stock with detroit lockers and 4.56 gears. Can be had for $750-1k. Shave some off of the enormous rear pumpkin (LOTS of meat, plenty to support). Add a hydraboost brake booster and hoses from any Dura-dud Silverado diesel ($75 at pick a part). Simple install to power steering pump and very minor mods to firewall (IIRC its just the difference in bolt pattern, the rod assembly snaps right in).

Bomb proof drivetrain with amazing brakes no matter what situation you put the truck in.(Especially if you go with any forced induction or radical cams in the future).

I did similiar on my 91 Jeep: 350/700r4/231, 6” spring-over lift, Dana 30/44 hybrid front (44 from Wagoneer with 30 steering knuckles), Ford Explorer 8.8 out back (both with 3.73s, kept stock track width as I didn’t want a foot of axle hanging out each side), hydraboost as described. Stopped Like a go cart with the 38s.

lvcjt702

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Took the kids on a 200 mile dirt loop around Soutern Nevada.
ae718dfce9bb7b3b4cfaf207b749dc1d.jpg
76f4a5b82c05dbcf32e4a50726464f73.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dana 60 front
Corporate 14 bolt rear

Both came stock with detroit lockers and 4.56 gears. Can be had for $750-1k. Shave some off of the enormous rear pumpkin (LOTS of meat, plenty to support). Add a hydraboost brake booster and hoses from any Dura-dud Silverado diesel ($75 at pick a part). Simple install to power steering pump and very minor mods to firewall (IIRC its just the difference in bolt pattern, the rod assembly snaps right in).

Bomb proof drivetrain with amazing brakes no matter what situation you put the truck in.(Especially if you go with any forced induction or radical cams in the future).

I did similiar on my 91 Jeep: 350/700r4/231, 6” spring-over lift, Dana 30/44 hybrid front (44 from Wagoneer with 30 steering knuckles), Ford Explorer 8.8 out back (both with 3.73s, kept stock track width as I didn’t want a foot of axle hanging out each side), hydraboost as described. Stopped Like a go cart with the 38s.
You sir got alot of knowledge on this matter [emoji2]
Nice to see someone that can help me in the correct direction.
Everything that I have learned so far is from watching countless YouTube SAS Swaps.
And reading in the 4x4 Pirate forums.
So much so that I know I can do the conversion
Everybody well most people tell me it can't be done or it's a wast of money just go buy a 78 Ford complete running and fix it up.
Well that's a option also BUT it's not what I want to do. I know it can be done on this 04 Expedition it is not much different than doing a 97 Chevy 1500. I'll be doing front and back conversion vs just the front.
I've found a few 78 Ford trucks complete and running on Craigslist for around $4000 to $5000
While trying to find some axles.
I mean how many 04 Expeditions do u see rolling around on Solid Axle Swap..haha
That's one of the reasons why I want to do it to mine and second I love my Expedition.
Now the only thing I'm not sure on is weather or not would I be best to run coils and shocks all around or leafs in back and coils n shocks n front or leafs all around ?
The main goal is that I want articulation/flex
For trails and having fun when we go to the Mud Fests through out the year.
Or possibly 3 link the front and 4 link the rear would give me the most articulation .
But this is going to remain my daily driver afterwards also so I can't be going to crazy..lol
And I'm pretty sure that the rack n pinion steering is gonna have to go ??
As u said a gear box.
The Dana 60 and the 14 bolt are both under the 78 Ford ?
For some reason I was thinking that the 14 bolt was under a Chevy early 80's.
But the Dana 60 axle for the front I knew that I needed but the rear Axle I was unsure of.
But I'll look for a 14 bolt rear also now that u have pointed me n the correct direction.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with me it helps a lot when someone isn't as knowledgeable in this conversion.
Thanks again brother

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dana 60 front
Corporate 14 bolt rear

I copied this and posted it in my thread so that it will be easier for me to find as a reference.

http://www.expeditionforum.com/index.php?threads/33795/

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiev