What did you do to the expy today

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eluther3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fixed (I hope) a stubborn CEL problem. CEL had been coming on despite multiple trips to the mechanic. Took it to two different ford dealers and they were no help. One of them told me the timing chain had skipped.

Since my registration was expiring this month, I had to clear the CEL issue so it would pass the safety inspection. I noticed some fluid consistently on the top of the engine block, so I decided to change the intake manifold gasket. I downloaded some Youtube videos (there's a great one on changing the manifold on an f-150 that I almost memorized) took my time (about a day and a half) and pulled the manifold. Lucky for me, the gasket was shot, but the manifold did not need to be replaced.

Put everything back together and started it up and the CEL was gone! Held my breath for the first 20 miles then took it straight to the inspection place for a new sticker. Driven about 70 miles so far and still no CEL.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fixed (I hope) a stubborn CEL problem. CEL had been coming on despite multiple trips to the mechanic. Took it to two different ford dealers and they were no help. One of them told me the timing chain had skipped.

Since my registration was expiring this month, I had to clear the CEL issue so it would pass the safety inspection. I noticed some fluid consistently on the top of the engine block, so I decided to change the intake manifold gasket. I downloaded some Youtube videos (there's a great one on changing the manifold on an f-150 that I almost memorized) took my time (about a day and a half) and pulled the manifold. Lucky for me, the gasket was shot, but the manifold did not need to be replaced.

Put everything back together and started it up and the CEL was gone! Held my breath for the first 20 miles then took it straight to the inspection place for a new sticker. Driven about 70 miles so far and still no CEL.
Congratulations! Nothing feels better than solving a long term problem that eluded the experts.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Plugs and coils on the remaining 7 cylinders that weren't throwing codes, after verifying that plug coil and injector fixed the problem on cylinder #2 and no issues\no CEL verified on a longish trip

Contrary to rumors, NOTHING needs to be pulled to do all 8 plugs and coils (unplug any injectors whose wiring is in the way, that's all). Just need extensions, a swivel, and a good ratchet.

#3, #7, and #8 are a teensy but more challenging than the rest, but all in all, pretty dang easy.

2017-11-30 00.04.17.jpg 2017-11-30 00.05.12.jpg

PS i'm pretty much a plugs and coils virgin, only ever changed ONE plug and ONE coil earlier....so it really is quite easy.

Plugs, Motorcraft, 2x 4-pack SP-509 = $70ish
Coils, Amazon Chinese, 8pack, $60
Antiseize for plugs and grease for boots, $1.50 ea packets from Autozone

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hopped in and drove home, sick as a dog so dizzy i could barely keep myself tracking straight on the thruway. I was shivering with my heat on full blast and it must have been 100 degrees in the cab lol.

scoot0073

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hopped in and drove home, sick as a dog so dizzy i could barely keep myself tracking straight on the thruway. I was shivering with my heat on full blast and it must have been 100 degrees in the cab lol.
Hope u get feeling better Brother

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well no better tonight. Passed out cold standing up straight woke up on the floor. at this point I’d rather die..... I just want to feel normal and go back to work. Can’t even drive with this sh*t.

Last edited:

John Christopher

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well no better tonight. Passed out cold standing up straight woke up on the floor. at this point I’d rather die..... I just want to feel normal and go back to work. Can’t even drive with this sh*t.

Damn that sounds serious. Do yourself and see your doctor tomorrow. He can prescribe something to help you get over this. Hang in there.