What to look for when buying a gen3 expy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5x10

Reaction score
Read this thread. http://www.expeditionforum.com/posts/256542/ There is a lot of information about installing the updated USB module and even a video on how to do it. There is a link to the 2.2 software which you can't get from WiFi yet. There are two different versions one if you have NAV and one if you don't. It is a little long but it is a good thread.
thread is great, I was able to update my sync 3, easy as pie(store bought pie )

TORNIT07

Reaction score
Bought '07 Eb EL new. To date: 2 batteries. One set spark plugs at 105,000 need replacing again at almost 170,000 miles. TCM (Transmission Control Modual)EXPENSIVE dealer job. Fuel Pump at 154,000. Front Lower ball Joints. Both Outter & Inner Tie Rods. VCT Solenoids (About to replace this month...been putting off)Front Wheel Bearing assembly. Rear Struts, Front Struts THREE TIMES! All replaced under warranty. Last time was while on vacation in Maine. Dealer couldn't get stock struts...installed KYB EXCEL-G's and they lasted 88,000! I have a new set I'm going to install soon...as well as springs & upper mounts. I HIGHLY recommend the KYB Excel's.

Both front window regulators. Power Sunroof hinges broke. Power steering fluid leaking at condenser...integral with AC condenser. Have to replace whole thing...PITA. Doing myself. That's the most of it...other stuff, but more in line with normal maintenance/repairs, ie., brakes/rotors, belts, hose, etc. Did most everything myself, as I used to be a mechanic, eons ago...hard to do a lot these days but saves a lot of $$ and I TRUST myself!

OH...and, of course the bubbling paint issue. Have it pretty bad on tailgate & certain spots along inner edge under the hood.

Last edited:

Rigpig

Reaction score
Something I noticed was when looking at Expys in the Midwest recently, rocker panel rust seemed to be rampant on these. I looked at 5 before I settled on one and 4 had rust varying from paint bubbles to ragged holes to rockers being completely gone on an otherwise clean one-owner with 110k miles.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Awesome Ford people. I took my 97 Expedition to 132k, no major issues. 'Now have my 04 and have 158k, replaced a transmission, alternator, and a coil pack.

Now looking at a Gen 3, '10-12 with less than 75k miles. Looks like they are in the 16-19k. I can afford newer, and my wife would like a qx80, but I like to support Ford, they are a tremendous value, and I am familiar with the platform. Expeditions have also treated my family well, and when my children start to drive in a couple years, i plan to wrap them in this vehicle with strict passenger rules. I will then get the qx80 for my wife.

From what i have read, the gen 3 kinks were largely worked out by 2010, is this correct?

Rigpig

Reaction score
From what i have read, the gen 3 kinks were largely worked out by 2010, is this correct?

2009 was the MY they changed to the one piece sp509 spark plug, and supposedly fixed the cam phaser issues. So, yeah, 2010 had most of the issues addressed. You'll still find bubbling paint on the lift gate and hood, and I'd pay careful attention to the rockers.
I've had several 2-valve and 3-valve 5.4s and 6.8s that I put over 300k miles on with no huge issues, and plan to have my 2009 for years to come.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi Awesome Ford people. I took my 97 Expedition to 132k, no major issues. 'Now have my 04 and have 158k, replaced a transmission, alternator, and a coil pack.

Now looking at a Gen 3, '10-12 with less than 75k miles. Looks like they are in the 16-19k. I can afford newer, and my wife would like a qx80, but I like to support Ford, they are a tremendous value, and I am familiar with the platform. Expeditions have also treated my family well, and when my children start to drive in a couple years, i plan to wrap them in this vehicle with strict passenger rules. I will then get the qx80 for my wife.

You dont need to go super low mileage..... my '09 has 175k and no worries

EllisFam2010

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack the thread by any means, but I've got a 2014 Expy EL Limited with 27,*** on it and it's giving me fits with hesitation, the speedo stops working, and the display goes to ----. Ran a code reader on it, popped a P0720, output speed shaft sensor. Kinda bummed about it being that the miles are so low. Anybody have a similar issue?