Won't start - searched first & have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
richinspirit

richinspirit

Reaction score
Just got a different auto parts chain to charge and test and the battery passed again. Hooked it right back up and same symptoms.

BTW, I do stay somewhere besides the Expy when the budget allows ;)

OP
OP
richinspirit

richinspirit

Reaction score
The tester is a little digital read deal that clips to the battery terminal and can print out a CCA rating after the test.

I do not have a DMM. If I ever get paid the last bit from my client for my last job I will pick one up for this, however.

Anyone recommend a really cheap multimeter that works okay?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Harbor Freight has a few China junkers that is good enough for this - sometimes free - sometimes $3.

The type of testers you describe are the type that have passed failed batteries for me in the past. But the toaster type testers are simple and don't lie to you. If you can put the battery into another vehicle as a test that will work also.

BTW - you can get the trucker showers at all of the major truck stops for usually 9-12 bucks each time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
richinspirit

richinspirit

Reaction score
So, this may help...

Just jumped the solenoid with a screwdriver and the starter would not crank the engine. That means it could be the battery (if the store testers are passing it but it is still bad) or the starter... but anything else? Any relay or fuse that could still be interrupting things?

BTW: thanks for everything, so far!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you hear the starter engage the flywheel? Once you jump the solenoid it is a straight shot to the starter.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how do the battery terminals look? Inside the terminal where it seats to the battery, where the wire goes into the actual terminal, the connections on the starter, solenoid, and to/from the mega fuses. My truck does what you say yours is doing but I just keep re trying it till it starts. It's worse in cold weather and I have done it as many as 25x before it caught and actually started turning the engine over. All I got each time was a solenoid click and no noticeable battery draw. I haven't caught it on a dvom to get the actual battery voltage.

OP
OP
richinspirit

richinspirit

Reaction score

Go have the battery load tested. replace if low on cca then figure out whats draining the battery by doing a parasitic draw test.

You nailed it, this was the issue...

Going to be out over $100 for a new battery, looks like.

My son-in-law helped, and we pulled the starter out so a parts store could test it, and it passed testing. After we reinstalled the starter, he pulled his battery out of his truck and plugged it in to my Expedition. The Expy then started right up. I mean right up.

With it still running, we pulled his battery and then hooked mine back up and the engine started lugging to the point almost shut off a few times over the next 2 or 3 minutes. It was bad. Never seen a battery affect a vehicle like that before, ever. After leaving it running for about 45 minutes, and driving around for 10 minutes of that or so, it now starts again. For who knows how long, but it starts. Weird.

I need a new battery and do not have the receipt for this under 3-year old Motorcraft battery, so can't even try for a warranty replacement from the local Ford dealership. Kinda sucks.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
even if you had a receipt for the battery I seriously doubt that a local ford dealership would honor it if it wasn't purchased from them

Also amazing is the amount of times that you had the battery tested and was told it tested good

and the problem was a bad battery

Hopefully you will find a better way to use your computer rather than running the battery down