Won't start - searched first & have questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "new" type of battery testers that supposedly test the internal resistance and other crap of a battery instead of an honest to goodness "load test" are the ones that pass batteries that fail the old style of load test.

That is why I only use the "toaster" type for testing.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glad to hear you're back up & running.

if you can fit them, get a marine battery and a battery isolater. that will separate the two so you can drain the marine (deep cycle) battery for your laptop or other loads and not use the truck battery so you can start. in the meantime, when you do get a new batt, don't let the voltage drop below 11.8 or so before starting the truck to recharge,

starting batteries are NOT meant to be drained/cycled more than about 20% of their charge capacity, they have to supply several hundred amps at above 10v to keep the computers alive to run the fuel pump, injectors and coil packs until the engine speed is enough to run the alternator. get a good battery and keep the receipt somewhere safe.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Copy the sales receipt and save it to the hard drive some receipts that you get now days the ink fades in a few months

OP
OP
richinspirit

richinspirit

Reaction score
Glad to hear you're back up & running.

if you can fit them, get a marine battery and a battery isolater. that will separate the two so you can drain the marine (deep cycle) battery for your laptop or other loads and not use the truck battery so you can start.

I heard some 1st gen Expeditions are equiped with a second battery. If true, where is the factory location for the second battery?

Not sure where I could put one, at the moment. Familiar with this kind of setup from car audio back in the old days, however.

Good suggestions. Thank you.

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The "new" type of battery testers that supposedly test the internal resistance and other crap of a battery instead of an honest to goodness "load test" are the ones that pass batteries that fail the old style of load test.

This thread likely won't be the last "...can't be the battery, it's only a couple of years old..." post.

It is amazing how many guys resist replacing a battery. I'm guilty of it myself. I had an '89 Bronco that I once had towed to a garage with intermittent starting issues I could not resolve. Actually PAID somebody to replace the battery when I was inexperienced.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Everybody is guilty of that prior to training. Back when I lived in Miami, Fl. you were doing good to have a battery last over 2 years. To me now any battery that is around 2 years old or older is suspect just from age.

First rule in electrical trouble shooting is always test your power supply.

Last edited:

BAD RONALD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
...To me now any battery that is around 2 years old or older is suspect just from age...

I could not agree more.

I wish I could convince my neighbor (who should know better by now) of this so I can get my battery charger back.

Last edited: