03 Electric brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Need some info from any towing gurus out there. I have a class III hitch and a 7 point and 4 point socket. Checking voltage on the 7 point, gives me weird readings that don't agree with the chart on the cover. But I also assume that it is wired for a controller. i just need to get one.

I can't see anything that would be a transmission cooler. So, I am assuming that it is not set up for electric brakes or heavy towing.

My first question is can someone identify this connector under the dash? The cable coming off it is wrapped in with some inline fuses and other wires under the dash.

And can someone recommend a controller for electric brakes.

Mid summer i will be towing a 16 foot trailer across country. I would like to get electric brakes and a cooler by then.

Thanks,

Attachments

• DSCF1200.jpg
    DSCF1200.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 114

Interceptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
..about the plug you have pictured - looks to me like it's part of a security system, specifically a vehicle immobilizer (see attached picture). I could not find much information on who makes the system, but it's a start.

Attachments

• immobilizer-system-335.jpg
    immobilizer-system-335.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 388

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you sure it is a class III and not a class IV reciver hitch?

Can you snap a picture of the trailer wiring conections ( the 7 pin and 4 pin conectors) and post it up so we can see if it is factory or not?

As for wired for trailer brakes - All expeditions are pre wired for trailer brakes. To find the conector look under the dash on the drivers side at the OBD II port. Once you have located the OBD II port look underneith at the metal braket that holds the conector to the dash board and you will see another conector attached to it with nothing pluged in, this is your conector for the electronic brake controller.

The reason I ask for the photos of the wiring conections out back is to see if they are factory or not. If you have a factory 7 pin then all you need to do is to get a good brake controller and the "pig tail" (the other side of the conector for under the dash) wire up the controller to the pig tail and plug it in and mount the controller.

Now if it is NOT a factory 7 pin ( unlikley ) then you would have to fish around under neith the truck at the rear where the trailer conector wiring is for a BLUE wire that is just "stubbed" (not hooked up) but again if you have a factory 7 pin then you will not have to do this.

As for brake controllers I along with many many others that do alot of towing highly recomend the PRODIGY series of brake controllers made by TEKONSHA. They are a very well built, reliable, and easy to setup / use controller. Here is a link to there website :

http://www.tekonsha.com/content/default.aspx

They are a bit pricey, but worth every penny! I have a 10 + year old Tekonsha contoller that while not in use for many years sat out in an old shed and it still works flawless.

OP
OP
fraziarwp

fraziarwp

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. The connector I posted is likely a security system. It would use the same type keys you put in your post.

I saw tekonsa while searching the net. I will review those.

I will post a pic of the 7/4 pin connectors as soon as I can. The 7 pin appears to be built into a housing on the side of the receiver adn the 4 pin is under the bumper.

thevalleyboy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love my Tokonsha P3 Prodigy - shown here with the premade brake/factory harness jumper

PICT0019.jpg