Asking for guidance on adding an electric brake module

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wscostin

Reaction score
Ok, first of all, Hi!! Just joined recently, and there is soooo much information here, it's easy to get lost. So, I'm just gonna ask....I have a 2017 XLT Ecoboost. I just bought a 31ft, 5600 lb dry wt camper. My Expy does have the brake module plug behind the cubby, and the 4 pin trailer connection with the 5th wire tied to it. I can add/convert the trailer plug to 7 pin myself. As far as the brake module....... Should I attempt the process of doing it myself, or just let the dealership handle it?

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tow limit for Non-HD Tow equipped vehicles is 6,000 lbs. The fact that you don't have the brake controller or seven pin connector are indicators that your vehicle did not come with HD Tow and you will likely exceed that 6k tow rating when the camper is loaded. I suggest visiting a scale and checking to get the actual loaded weight of the camper. Also check the rating of your trailer hitch.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, first of all, Hi!! Just joined recently, and there is soooo much information here, it's easy to get lost. So, I'm just gonna ask....I have a 2017 XLT Ecoboost. I just bought a 31ft, 5600 lb dry wt camper. My Expy does have the brake module plug behind the cubby, and the 4 pin trailer connection with the 5th wire tied to it. I can add/convert the trailer plug to 7 pin myself. As far as the brake module....... Should I attempt the process of doing it myself, or just let the dealership handle it?
As Jason said, that's too much trailer for that truck. You'll be over the limit in all kinds of areas. You just got the trailer? What kind of trailer is 31 feet and 5600 dry? What is the tongue weight?

OP
OP
W

Wscostin

Reaction score
It's a camper, not a trailer. 5600 lbs empty, 730 lb tongue weight, 3500 lb axle weight. I'm getting mixed answers everywhere. Starting to wonder who actually knows anything, including the experts. Obviously I'm learning myself, or I wouldn't be asking. I'll do whatever I have to to make it work right. Just getting someone to put in a brake controller has proven to be a headache. I may have to do it myself. The "plan" is to add the transmission cooler, and weight distributing stabilizers, which are "supposedly" gonna up the weight rating. OR, I'll just replace the class IV with a class V. I did my homework, talked to the experts, now I'm just getting upset. Any of the forums are all over the place, depending on who you talk to, including this one. Seems to be a lot of trial and error. Not being negative, just stating what I'm going through. Again, not trying to get out cheap, just want it right, and I'm getting mixed answers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

Wscostin

Reaction score
Ok, update. I consulted Ford!! They said.... Use a weight distribution hitch, add the tranny cooler, beef up the rear springs and I'll be good to go. Pay attention to engine temp to determine the need for the heavy duty radiator.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, update. I consulted Ford!! They said.... Use a weight distribution hitch, add the tranny cooler, beef up the rear springs and I'll be good to go. Pay attention to engine temp to determine the need for the heavy duty radiator.
Sounds like you're on the right track. The transmission cooler, radiator cooler, brake controller, and 7-pin connector are the upgrades for the HD Tow package. Adding the brake controller will necessitate some software changes, so you may want to have a dealership tackle it. I still recommended visiting a scale so you can get the weight distribution hitch configured properly. The other thing that differentiates the HD-Tow package is the rear axle gearing. For that generation, some vehicles are 3.73, some are 3.31, and some are only 3.15. You'll probably be fine with any of them, but be aware that performance may be impaired. I highly suggest premium fuel when towing, as it does make a substantial difference. You can monitor engine temps using an ELM 327 and the Torque app. The Ford gauge is useless as it won't move until temps are already elevated. Good luck.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, you can do your best to make your non-HD truck into an HD truck.

A good WDH would be required no matter what. The Class IV hitch should be fine. Add the 7 pin connector. Add the aux oil/trans cooler. Upgrade to an HD radiator. Add new HD springs all around. Add a Prodigy brake controller, install your self it's pretty simple. Add Sumo spring spacers to rear. Add ugraded sway bars front and rear, Hellwig would be best choice. Make sure tires are newish, replace with new tires if not. Some people like to move up to LT tires, but I have gotten by with my Defender LTXs just fine, just air up to max when towing.

It's a lot of stuff, and it's going to be a long learning curve for you. Truth is you have a camper that is at the max for even an HD equiped Expedition, much less a non-HD Expy. You can upgrade your non-HD Expy and it's still going to be a lot of trial and error, borderline scary trips till you can get it right.

The dry weights you have mean nothing, nobody goes camping dry. There is always stuff in the camper that adds weight. 730lb toungue weight? Sure, with no propane tanks, stuff in storage, and battery? Put it this way, I have an HD Expy with a 27ft model camper, 760 tongue weight and it took me a solid year of learning the CAT scale, putting trailer on diet, and upgrading my trucks equipment till I could even go on a trip without white-knuckles.

Highly suggest you learn to use a CAT scale and learn the 3-4 pass method to find your numbers as you tweak your settings. It's going to take a bit of time. Good luck with it.