04-10 5.4L Cam Sensor Concerns

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SVFD1505

Reaction score
I have an 03 expedition XLT but I am looking to upgrade to an 08-12 model with a 5.4L since it is what falls into the price range I am willing to pay. I have had a couple of guys tell me to stay away from any 5.4L made from 2004-2010 due to a cam sensor problem. Is this as rampant of a problem as I am being led to believe? I hear it is around a $2500 repair which would be hard to stomach. Any help on how common of a problem this is would be appreciated.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From everything I've read and been exposed to, expeditions 05, 06 are the most issue prone vehicles. Some have had oiling, or cam related issues all the way up to 2010. 2005 thru 2007 had issues with broken spark plugs on removal. Some owners had no problems, others nothing but. If it was me 2010 or newer is your safest bet, or and nobody shoot me maybe a Toyota, or Chevy/Gmc, but they probably have their problems too. I wish these vehicles were as trouble free as other makes/models, but their not. Your other option is to use your money as a large down payment on a newer 3.5 expedition. Their not without issues, but mostly minor. Good luck!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen to the engine when you go look. If it’s smooth your good, change the oil often and use Motorcraft filters and you will be fine. As with anything it’s upkeep. Many more people haven’t had problems than have had issues. Everyone who has had problems comes on here and screams about it, everyone else happily driving down the road isn’t here JS. Many of these 3 valve engines have been company trucks and run hundreds of thousands of miles. We’ve owned many of these engines and none have needed the camphasers or timing components replaced. In a way, most of Fords modern engines will not go as long as the modular V8 can. Sure they’ve been known to have some timing issues... but that’s a small piece of the puzzle on a whole engine. They are relatively well built.

Last edited: