04 Expy, A/C Doesn't blow cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Godfrey

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've owned this very nice Expedition for a month now, (24k miles) and noticed that I have an A/C problem.

Being new to the Expedition but not new to Ford I have a few questions. I searched the threads to find possible causes but perhaps my search text didn't match.

I have a 2004 Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L. Starting it in the morning or whenever is not a problem, but when I turn on the A/C, most of the time the trucks REALLY shakes as the compressor clutch is engaged...Is this normal? Also, I've noticed that with the A/C temp set at 60 degrees (on the display) and the 'recirc' turned on (blows harder) the air temp doesn't cool down for about 5 minutes. This is not while the Expy is parked...This is about 3 to 4 miles from home while on the highway. Normal cruise speed 60 (1600RPM) / sometimes :)

While I do have to take it to the dealer soon for some paint repair (under it's "Ford Certified Warranty") I'd like this checked...But before they come back with "well, this is normal, blah, blah blah" I'd like to get some feedback.

2004 Expy, EB, 5.4L V8, front/rear air...Doesn't matter if rear is enabled or not... I realize that I have ONE A/C compressor feeding both systems. Could the "shudder/shake etc." be caused by a low charge?

Anything is helpful!

Phil

monsta

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the charge is too low then the compressor won't kick on at all.

Sounds like the clutch is bad or needs some spacers. (That is all listed in the service manual.)

The AC eventually gets cold though, right??

OP
OP
G

Godfrey

Reaction score
Sorry for the delay in responding, I was out of town...But convinced myself to drive the Expedition to our destination in Arkansas. I was surprised to see that it actually got good fuel economy........but back to the question though.

It does blow cold, but not really cold like my 95 Explorer or 00 Toyota Avalon XLS. As mentioned before it has to be driven for a while before the temp cools. It's at 60 degrees. I realize that increasing the temp from 60 to 70 doesn't change the air temp much. In other words if I had it set on "Auto" and allowed it time to cool to 65/60 degrees it would run forever.

Now that I am back home - I plan to call the dealer tomorrow and schedule an appointment for this week.

Thanks,

Phil